Do you think this guy is super cooling his koi? ;)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
20180320_093538_HDR.jpg
just so you know, @adavisus my UTube channel has thousands more followers than Peter Waddington, as his UTube channel only has 35 followers...

Reaction score
And furthermore, the reason they move their koi indoors is cause the warm water grows koi very fast, so they {the Japanese} grow koi very fast, kinda like the cattle industry, and hence the sick koi.

Its just business 101, and in the mean time Peter can sell lots of books as he sits on top of a hill talking about how they grow big business koi super fast to keep up with demand.... Just so you know Peter Waddinton has only one out of two workable videos, the other video of him partying up a storm with the locals was taken down
Yep, big business. Pound per pound Koi is a lot more valuable than beef.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
No doubt.
I wouldn't be surprised if some koi breeds raise cattle just to grind up and feed to their koi. :cow:
Ya, so why not feed them expensive grain free dog food made fresh here in Alberta, that my very healthy koi have been eating for at least 15 years?

Pound per pound its Way Cheaper and koi love it more than overpriced koi food that sits a long time on the shelf here getting stale cause most people cannot afford that.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You're welcome to feel that your experience with your own pond and your own tiny, listless koi qualifies you as an expert all around the world. Rather than engage you further I've simply added you to my ignore list. Best wishes with your YouTube channel.
And you obviously never seen my koi as they are neither tiny nor listless. My two oldest koi are at least 15 pounds each and during the summer when they are not in winter sleeping mode" and come up up to the top of that 5 foot deep upper pond, you can clearly see how huge they are!

Reaction score
I never said you were doing anything wrong, Colleen.:)

I learned long ago that if I wasn't able to get my message across to people in a way that they could understand, they wouldn't get my message.
All I'm saying is that if you had some basic measurements like temperature observations, PH, KH, GH that we could compare numbers, then we could better understand why some people have difficulty and why some have success.

- because right now all everyone's arguing over is who has has a more legitimate opinion - which isn't getting this discussion any further ahead.

For example, if you do a search for "physiological effects of cold water on koi" or better yet "physiological effects of cold water on Amur Carp", you can come up with some actual studies done that show how temperature affects these cold water fish.
Don't bother looking for opinion pieces, look for actual scientific studies. Google Scholar has a lot of information.
If you have some links Mitch I'd be interested in viewing them, and they might be somewhat beneficial to this thread.
Your right, lots of opinions, or links to other people's opinions floating around in this thread. Although any legitimate information I've read about Amur Carp (the original koi fish) is that they are a temperate cold water species of fish, so I think to state that a koi is a cold water fish is more than just an opinion.
What is opinion though is whether or not there is any benefit to keeping your koi warm thru the winter? That would depend on the individual and factors like how healthy your koi are, how big is your pond, where exactly do you live, what is your ultimate purpose for your koi, are you planning to feed them to get them to grow through the winter so you can sell them in the spring, etc...Not to mention can you afford to heat your pond? That alone would be a big factor, especially if you live in a colder climate and actually planning to feed them thru the winter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you have some links Mitch I'd be interested in viewing them, and they might be somewhat beneficial to this thread.
Just this one:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0130526

Bottom line, koi have a lot of cold responsive genes and do fine for 6 months at freezing temperatures.
I guess if people have bred the heck out of them, they can become weaker as a result.
That's one of the things I don't like about breeding fish, dogs, cats, whatever, for show...

I watched that Waddington video, I was waiting for him to take us on a tour of his greenhouse! :LOL:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My koi are mutts. I'm not insulted. They're my mutts and I love them! ;)
Its insulting rude and very snobby to many of us on this forum. I picked out my two oldest koi over 27 years ago and back then there was not much to choose from. I know others are offended as well cause lots of us really love our old koi and to imply that ours are just ugly mutts cause he could afford to spent hundreds on his koi is just plain wrong. And he also said my koi were "tiny and listless" but actually my two oldest koi are at least 15 pounds each and the rest of them are roughly similar in size to his. Then to call my koi listless as they are still in winter sleep mode just shows me he knows nothing about wintering his koi so should keep his rude mouth shut.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Most koi are not pure bred. They are mutts. Which some folk go to great lengths to cultivate, rather than insult folk peddling scams and hack job videos on youtube for nickles and dimes

No, I don't think Waddy is interested in peddling fraud on youtube. He has his own business and his own website

Yup he would know a listless half dead koi when he sees it

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
@adavisus So why don't we just tell all the new folk when we greet them ... Oh cheap pond and your mutts are at least alive but I have real expensive koi and can't be bothered with such petty things?

And furthermore I am at least making money every month on my U Tube Channel, have lots of subs, and I have so many "likes" and sweet comments and people can relate more to someone like me than you guys who try to talk over everybodys head. Like you know about wintering koi ....

Ask a Question