dogs, dirt and ponds...

Reaction score
I really want to have a small water feature in my yard. My problem is that I live on a farm with 3 dogs who love to swim but also love to roll in the dirt and some things that are not dirt. How do I keep the water clean? Any suggestions on a pump or type of filtration system?

I currently have a small plastic kiddie pool that I have to dump daily due to the amount of dirt that collects in the bottom for the dogs to swim in. I know that if I install any type of water feature that my dogs are going to be in it. My last house had a small pond that I had a horrible time keeping clean and I did not have dogs then. I love the sound of moving water but I am at a loss at how to keep it clean and looking nice. The pump and filter I had did not remove the dirt that settled on the bottom.

Any suggestions or places that I can look would be helpful and so appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We have 3 dogs and they all go in the stream but not the pond, they all tested it out but they do not like the slippery liner at all. Ours love the water too. I would suggest make it as large as possible, I know you said small but what is small? I bought a pond vac for cleaning the bottom well and installed a skimmer for cleaning the surface of the pond. Deeper will help also, so the dirt settles to the bottom and does not get stirred up by a water feature. I also would keep the kiddie pool close by and teach them that is what to use. The better the filtration the quicker it will clear out. I suggest a minimum of 2 to 3 full cycles per hour by your pump. Example 1000 gal pond you will need a 2000/3000 gal pump. Our has worked out very well with pets. You could use a electric invisible dog fence to keep them out also. We have used one for our entire property for years, due to horses, trucks, road etc. It has been the best. The dogs do not even use the collars now, they just know where the line is. I did test it out on me first, it has a bite but not to bad. Best of luck

IMG_2095.JPG

Our cat likes it too
IMG_2099.JPG

Here is our pond showcase, you can see how we did the sides, etc. Yours would be smaller for what you want but design could be similar

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/rob-amys-pond.7/

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My dog is small 20lbs and she does not go in the pond, she walks through the creek and bog but that is it. My brother however had a large pond and his lab was in the pond all the time. I never noticed where the pond water was cloudy, if his dog in the pond she would disturb the gunk in the bottom but would quickly settle. I would do as RobAMy did and buy a pond vac if you are worried about the dirt in the bottom. I have a pondvac oasis and it does a very good job of cleaning the bottom. Good luck and happy digging!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband built a small wooden picket fence around our pond area. I was afraid of my dogs getting hurt or drowning/fish getting hurt/killed or the pond liner being torn.

Of course I left the gate open one day while I was in the pond area and my old springer fell into the pond! She was surprised and I had to help her get out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My husband built a small wooden picket fence around our pond area. I was afraid of my dogs getting hurt or drowning/fish getting hurt/killed or the pond liner being torn.

Of course I left the gate open one day while I was in the pond area and my old springer fell into the pond! She was surprised and I had to help her get out.

Glad you got her out. We have Springers too, they are awesome dogs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
One thing I should mention, with our dogs they leave the pond alone for the most part but with winter they do walk on the ice and go get a drink where the opening is. So this does increase the danger factor a bit. 2 out of the 3 have broke the ice but got out on there own. I was standing there both times. Really did not phase them at all.

True story first time ever and only once one of them took a :poop: on the ice :yuck: :yuck::yuck: Alteast I will not have to fertilize the l plants this year.:)

Reaction score
I have not read all of the other posts but do want to suggest a thick liner. It would be a shame for a dog to put a hole in yours and drain the pond. A good pump and filter should keep the dirt settling to a minimum.

Reaction score
We have 3 dogs and they all go in the stream but not the pond, they all tested it out but they do not like the slippery liner at all. Ours love the water too. I would suggest make it as large as possible, I know you said small but what is small? I bought a pond vac for cleaning the bottom well and installed a skimmer for cleaning the surface of the pond. Deeper will help also, so the dirt settles to the bottom and does not get stirred up by a water feature. I also would keep the kiddie pool close by and teach them that is what to use. The better the filtration the quicker it will clear out. I suggest a minimum of 2 to 3 full cycles per hour by your pump. Example 1000 gal pond you will need a 2000/3000 gal pump. Our has worked out very well with pets. You could use a electric invisible dog fence to keep them out also. We have used one for our entire property for years, due to horses, trucks, road etc. It has been the best. The dogs do not even use the collars now, they just know where the line is. I did test it out on me first, it has a bite but not to bad. Best of luck

View attachment 67692
Our cat likes it too
View attachment 67693

Here is our pond showcase, you can see how we did the sides, etc. Yours would be smaller for what you want but design could be similar

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/rob-amys-pond.7/
wow your pond is beautiful

Reaction score
Country
United States
"Glad you got her out. We have Springers too, they are awesome dogs"

Thanks, I'm glad she didn't get hurt. The worst of it was she had just been to the groomer and was all nice and clean and then ended up in the pond water.

She has since passed but will never be forgotten.

Ask a Question