Don't bother with mass market pond filters that are under $1000...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, what do you do for filtration during the months when the bog is turned off?
Nothing, the fish do fine. The water gets a tiny bit murky as spring comes around, i.e. the weather warms up. Once the bog is running the water turns clear.

My pump is external. I have to turn it off and remove it. Which I prefer, I love the down time in the winter. Don't need to worry about the pond at all. And honey loves to wander to Florida when it is cold.

One year I turned it off in September, we had to go to AZ to sale my house, turned it back towards the end of March. Not one fish was loss.
I do run a pond breather in the deep end and a tiny pump (low flow like 200 gph) in the shallow end for the birds to have water to drink.

There have been some that say the bog will turn anaerobic and will stink when you turn it back on. When I turn mine back on, there is only the smell of water / pondish water smell. No stink.

I LOVE it, being a lazy ponder.............. love the no / minimal care ponds. I have 11 ponds running now, all except one filtered by the one bog. From big to small.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Addy, thanks for the input.
I turn off my main pump/filters for the winter. I do keep a 550gph pump running all year. It's in a submerged bucket and the pump is covered with lava rock. I have a small pvc pipe exiting the pump and ending just below the surface of the water.
So, even if I did the bog, I'll still run this bucket filter. But from what you describe, I probably don't need it.

Ad

Advertisements

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I will stay with my stock tank filters .They are inside the liner and if they leak it will all run back in the pond .less worry for me

Ask a Question