addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anyways, I'll keep posting about my winter pond conditions in case it helps anyone else.
Well you helped this ponder, after someone here lost every fish using an aerator last winter, I wanted to do something else this winter. So pond breathers are installed and running.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Catfishnut, you are absolutely correct as concerns large earthen ponds. However, the average Garden Pond normally goes through a 'closing down' process where most of the organic debris is removed before ice-over. This is not done in a earthen pond. In fact, in an earthen pond this organic debris accumulates over years before any action is usually taken (dredging) to remove it. Natural earthen ponds have been known to experience toxic gas based events in warmer months of the year also.
I couldn't agree with you more about the importance of snow removal Sunlight is all important in maintaining an algae growth that contributes Oxygen to the water column.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is it known if algae uses or produces more oxygen than it uses?

As regards sessile (attached) algae such is found on most every submerged surface, generally speaking there is a surplus of Oxygen. This enables a somewhat symbiotic relationship with the bacteria in the underlying biofilm, The algae provides Oxygen for the bacteria and the bacteria, in turn, supply nutrients to the algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've been afraid the pond breather alone, might not provide enough O2 for my big koi in my small pond of only 1700 gallons, so am using a small aerator in addition to it. My small aerator doesn't create a current, just a gentle stream of bubbles.

Reaction score
I've been afraid the pond breather alone, might not provide enough O2 for my big koi in my small pond of only 1700 gallons, so am using a small aerator in addition to it. My small aerator doesn't create a current, just a gentle stream of bubbles.

Tula,

I believe that is the idea to follow. You don't want to create a fast, a rolling, or a boiling current that the fish will have to fight against to stay where they want to rest, but you want to ensure that oxygen is added to the water and that there is a very slight current to mix that oxygen around within the pond to eliminate all "dead" zones (if possible). Some ponds by design may always have some dead zones, but as long as the whole pond isn't a dead zone, the fish will naturally seek out the healthy hiding spots to rest for the winter and thrive there in those: "Goldilocks Zones".

Catfishnut

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is the water circulation pattern that you want to achieve with aeration.
pond aeration.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a powerful aerator that I place on the bottom of the pond, in warmer months. The koi love holding themselves in the current:)

I think I'm throwing everything but the kitchen sink at my pond this winter....with a de icer, small aerator and the pond breather!!

Yesterday we had warmer temps, so I did a small water change.

Ask a Question