Duckweed Control!

Sacwhh22

Albino Grass Carp
Reaction score
Hi All

Another quick question - my parents pond seems to have extrtemely rapidly growing duckweed! One half of the pond is clear of other vegitation, and therefore fairly easy (if time consuming) to scoop it out with a net. The other half however is heavily planted with I believe Canadian Pond Weed? The long frond like one - this looks lovely and seems to keep the pond very healthy, but because it sits just under the water level makes it difficult to scopp duckweed out - does anybody have any suggestions on how to solve this or get rid of the duckweed more permanently?

Cheers

Steve

Sacwhh22

Albino Grass Carp
Reaction score
Yes there is something in the regious of close to 100 fish in the pond, however they do not seem to have developed a love on eating pondweed lol - I did add a couple of albino grass carp in the hope they would be keen - but as yet nothing noticable.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm surprised the fish don't eat it. I put duckweed into my pond last year and the next day it was gone! My fish ate it all up in no time.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You sure it's duckweed and not Azolla? My fish gobble that duckweed up like crazy but then I don't have tons of it like you do. Tilapia fish love it!

Ask a Question