DUMB MISTAKES = LEARNING CURVE (?)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yesterday I added a few "notes-to-self" to my list of ponding experiences. Fortunately, as of an hour ago, all the fish are present & active, though I haven't tested the water yet.

1. The best time to "muck around" is NOT during the dead of winter -- even when your temps lull you into a false sense of spring-time. And I do literally mean "muck," not the word that it sounds like....
2. When you turn off a small, submerged pump for the winter [ie, pump to spitter that's in a filter box], you need to pull the pump & filter and not leave them in the pond [big, DUH!].
3. Invest in an air pump.
4. Always have de-chlor handy.
5. Read articles & posts [stay up on knowledge base] even when they don't sound like anything you'd be interested in at the time -- you never know when you might need it!
6. Have alternate filtration handy [see #2....NOT]
7. ...... still processing ......

The story: It was such a nice day yesterday that I decided to work on the "turtle bogs" which is what I'm calling the area of pond that's sectioned off for the boxies. Last season, I filled in with gravel and stuck some plants in, with the intention of retrofitting the irrigation this spring. All it started out with was a steady water flow falling onto the gravel bed & "soaking" pool area [water split from pump that goes to Skippy]. So, yesterday was my day to gather the PVC and get to work, which was going to require quite a bit of gravel-scooping and rearranging. Boy, was there a lot of muck, and it was flowing & mixing directly with the pond water -- I had recently been reading articles & posts regarding anoxic filtration and the downsides to bog filtration, so when I caught a slight whiff of "rotten eggs," knew I might be getting into trouble. A quick glance at the fish confirmed this: slow moving and congregating at the top, where an hour before they were free-swimming & active!

Started pulling water out via Skippy for emergency water change. Remembered that I didn't have any de-chlor. So to add fresh water, ran water hose on "spray," hoping for enough aeration there to remove some of the chlorine, but meant fresh water going in more slowly. Of course, during this time, there's no water action from a pump to aerate the pond, 'cause that pump is tied up to Skippy which was busy emptying the pond. Well, there was some flow from the "turtle bog" set-up, which is split from same pump, but "turtle-bog" water flow being in question at that point.

Then I remembered the pump for the spitter! Yeah! Plugged it up -- not much flow, but any was better than nothing. Until it occurred to me that, "You know, I never pulled that filter box out of the pond. It's been sitting down there for a couple of months...." Can you say anaerobic & anoxic? I took a sniff of the water coming out, and WHEW! Unplugged that sucker!!

THEN I remembered that Santa brought me a new Oase floating skimmer that has an air discharge. Was waiting until it got warmer to use it, but what the heck! My fishies needed it! Got it going and there was a pretty good bit of water movement.

For the remainder of yesterday, until it got too dark to see, there wasn't a fish to be seen [but no floaters, either]. This morning, even though the water is still not clear, at least the fish are still alive & active, acting as if nothing happened.

These pics are what the "turtle bogs" looked like when I got through working on them yesterday. The "girl side," first pic, shows that I didn't get finished and didn't get around to burying any of the PVC -- still a work-in-progress, but one that will have to wait until I'm better prepared to handle the outcomes....!

Attachments

• girl side.jpg
    girl side.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 334
  • boy side.jpg
    boy side.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 361

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my one big one was the first year I had my pond and pump went out and had to rush around and find another pump in the heat of summer .Now I always have 2 pumps going in my pond .I live in a rural area so they are hard to find .Second was not to be prepared for everything .I now keep extra hoses and fittings .I remember my first pond trying the so called quick fixes for your pond and all they do is make the company money and take my money .Last is failing at filtering until I realized plants are the best filter .So lava rock got company with there plant buddies

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
my one big one was the first year I had my pond and pump went out and had to rush around and find another pump in the heat of summer .Now I always have 2 pumps going in my pond .I live in a rural area so they are hard to find .Second was not to be prepared for everything .I now keep extra hoses and fittings .I remember my first pond trying the so called quick fixes for your pond and all they do is make the company money and take my money .Last is failing at filtering until I realized plants are the best filter .So lava rock got company with there plant buddies

Hopefully, others will learn from our mistakes!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great idea to post this as people can look here and no what not to do and how to be prepared for anything and everything .You never think of these things until they happen and then you are in a panic and learning what not to do would help out a lot so the mistakes will not happen again and scare people away from ponding .It does not have to cost a fortune to have a pond .A little knowledge goes a long way

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad it worked out for you TM! I just look at my pond in the winter, make no fixes lol. Called the learning curve, and we are always learning.

My first Bog type filter was made similar to what I think you are posting, water drained down into the gravel and plants. It did get yucky. With the way my bog type filter is set up here, water coming from the bottom going up, the water, gravel etc has stayed fresh, even after sitting for the winter. I have yet to smell rotten eggs, even when digging in it to remove some massive rooted plants.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Glad it worked out for you TM! I just look at my pond in the winter, make no fixes lol. Called the learning curve, and we are always learning.

My first Bog type filter was made similar to what I think you are posting, water drained down into the gravel and plants. It did get yucky. With the way my bog type filter is set up here, water coming from the bottom going up, the water, gravel etc has stayed fresh, even after sitting for the winter. I have yet to smell rotten eggs, even when digging in it to remove some massive rooted plants.

Yours is the set-up I'm trying to convert the "turtle bog" to: water piped in from beneath the gravel bed. I never got the chance to do it last season, so was going to make it my "spring project" for this year. At least I managed to get one side done, or at least started.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol tm wait for spring, or at least a week of predicted nice weather. We are heading up to 55 on tuesday. At least the ice on the ponds will melt.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought the air max one but have not used it yet

I bought this and did try it out but that was all

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought the air max one but have not used it yet

I bought this and did try it out but that was all

Sissy, what catalog are you using for those images? I like that it tells you what the energy usage is, etc. I like being able to do a side-by-side comparison of items.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
air max catalog and they are in NC www.airmaxeco.com .They also have a you tube video of there system .You can order a catalog free .I liked it came with everything .I bought the 4 port one .It still has to be protected ,but going to put it on a platform and put a fake rock over it with holes drilled in the fake rock .I was going to put it in my house I built but it does not fit .I also thought about putting it in the lighthouse I built

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I went to a store in NC and bought it and it was onsale when i bought mine and got it for 69 dollars .Not sure how great it is yet or how long it will last ,but it comes with a warranty .I wanted the pad one but saw it in a pond at the store and thought it was just a bit much for my small pond .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing is I wish the power cord was longer but they do suggest and sell an approved extention cord

Ask a Question