how dumb am i?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
decided to redo my waterfall by putting on a wider waterfall weir extension and raise the hiegth that the water falls back in the pond. well i didnt screw the extension to the weir and turned on the pump to stand back from the pond for a visual and to get another opinion. well the phone rang, i had to use the bathroom ,was hungry...etc..forgot about it and now have about 600 gals of water under my liner and ive got some lilly pots on their side. in a word, i have a mess of my own absent minded making..i hate when i do totally stupid stuff like this..and theyre calling for rain all wekend, starting today!! i cried (almost actual tears) when i saw it. i was l washing my hands at the kitchen sink, looked out and thought something didnt look quite right. went out, killed the pump. or who knows what i would have woke to....had to vent...please dont laugh to hard!!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We all get distracked and do things like that. I don't know how many times I have opened the dump valve on my filter, cleaned the pumps and turned them back on and gone back in the house. OOPS- the valve is still OPEN! DOH! Don't feel bad. We all do it. At least you caught it in time.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would blame it on who ever called you on the phone...:beerchug:

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Bummer. Hope you can take care of it.

I was absent minded once and turned the hose from the city water just to top my water off one evening(well pump wouldn't start). Went in to start dinner real quick and forgot untill the next morning. I killed all 30 of my fish and alot were adult size. I did cry like a baby and was major depressed for a week. I let them down.

Reaction score
Oh jeez! If I could only say stuff like that never happened to me! If only...

The soil under the pond will absorb the water that's gone in soon enough and you'' be able to put everything back together.

Koidaddy, I've done the same thing and let water run for hours (thankfully didn't lose fish). I've taken to putting an egg timer on in the kitchen when I do a top off, so it loudly goes off to remind me I have a hose in there.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a little more clarification on the situation... this morning i put a flotec pump under the liner and pumped out the water. the liner is on top of my liner from the first pond...so we all know what happens there (the water isnt going anywhere fast!!)...so i got all the water out and low and behold icant get the flotec out due to the vaccuum created. so i have to put the hose in there and turn it on to get the pump out. didnt take long but i knew that this would happen if i got too much water out...any ways parts of the plant shelf caved in and the top ledge where my border rocks set washed out from sitting in water over night.my liner was at the waters surface surface level...goes to show.".if it aint broke dont fix it" but man the waterfall looked sweet and if i would have screwed it together things would be fine. the edxtension was pinched inbetween two large rocks and seemed quite sturdy...WRONG! and i didnt want to mount it unless i was satisfied..

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Oh jeez! If I could only say stuff like that never happened to me! If only...

The soil under the pond will absorb the water that's gone in soon enough and you'' be able to put everything back together.

Koidaddy, I've done the same thing and let water run for hours (thankfully didn't lose fish). I've taken to putting an egg timer on in the kitchen when I do a top off, so it loudly goes off to remind me I have a hose in there.

Great tip koikeepr. Mine ran for over 12 hours. It was not on blast just a very light flow. When I went into the back bathroom the next morning I could hear the water running through the pipes and my heart sunk.
I think we have all learned from trial and error in our pond experiences. That was part of me getting rid of my waterfall. To much evaporation for me. I do like the spillway on yours. I might do something like that with one of those shop bin DIY waterfall.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
on water changes i try to always set the microwave timer and the oven timer.. i do this on the basement pond too. and i sometimes forget and ive over flowed the basement pond twice..luckily its 5 feet from a drain. thats once each winter and never seriously.. falling asleep is the culprit. cause i trickle the flow on refills...takes an hour and a half, but if i fill it quickly the guys flock around the new water flow and we dont want gill burn do we?
oh... an update.. i refilled the pond and outside of some larger wrinkles than i like its gonna have to do til fall...if the rest of the water works its way out from underneath they may smooth out...planter shelves will go this fall another liner if needed maybe a bit bigger anyway...this may be the excuse i needed.

Ask a Question