Emergency help needed please.

Reaction score
I forgot to say that my friend doesn't use computers but I shall be more than happy to tell him about this Forum and if he needs advice or just a chat, I shall be only too happy to act as a go-between; you have been so kind and helpful .:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Not a problem, we are here to help and maybe make a ponder out of you in the meantime. Maybe you could teach them computers and they could teach you ponding.:bowdown:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Not a problem, we are here to help and maybe make a ponder out of you in the meantime. Maybe you could teach them computers and they could teach you ponding.:bowdown:

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
yorkshire lass said:
I think that it must be string algae because when I lift the pump out of the water, it hangs down in strings; when it is in the net or in the pump it's a horrible bright green slimey dollop! I'm also looking after his tomatoes and a garden full of flowers; we're having very warm weather here, 28 centigrade, (For us in the UK that is) and everything is drying out very quickly. I have just been over and put some water in and will go and do a bit more before I go to bed. My neighbour should be back in 48 hours so I shall leave it up to him to sort the pond out ! After 10 days, this pensioner has had quite enough thank you !!

same down here in the southeast ...and my pond has the dreaded string algea ...i just keep pulling it out for now and have shaded the pond in the hopes that will help get rid of it

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
yorkshire lass said:
I think that it must be string algae because when I lift the pump out of the water, it hangs down in strings; when it is in the net or in the pump it's a horrible bright green slimey dollop! I'm also looking after his tomatoes and a garden full of flowers; we're having very warm weather here, 28 centigrade, (For us in the UK that is) and everything is drying out very quickly. I have just been over and put some water in and will go and do a bit more before I go to bed. My neighbour should be back in 48 hours so I shall leave it up to him to sort the pond out ! After 10 days, this pensioner has had quite enough thank you !!

same down here in the southeast ...and my pond has the dreaded string algea ...i just keep pulling it out for now and have shaded the pond in the hopes that will help get rid of it

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
stroppy said:

It will eventually run its course. Every spring it will come back. it has about a 3-4 month cycle. I just pull it for some control until it goes away naturally.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
stroppy said:

It will eventually run its course. Every spring it will come back. it has about a 3-4 month cycle. I just pull it for some control until it goes away naturally.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
If it is string algae, that will clear up over time. I just pull out the excess to try and control it until nature takes over.

If it is single cell algae and you have thick muck in the bottom, that is another story.

What kind of algae do you have?

Hi, DrDave, I've been having algae problems with my pond. As I was reading this discussion, I read your post. I have a thick muck in the bottom of my pond, which by your description sounds like the single cell algae. Here in Arizona, it is summer and the temperatures are quite warm (anywhere from 100F to 112F) and so the algae also floats to the top. I'm wondering how to get rid of it. On a side note, my pond has 2 Koi and 2 red-eared slider turtles. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
tucsonmtbr said:
Hi, DrDave, I've been having algae problems with my pond. As I was reading this discussion, I read your post. I have a thick muck in the bottom of my pond, which by your description sounds like the single cell algae. Here in Arizona, it is summer and the temperatures are quite warm (anywhere from 100F to 112F) and so the algae also floats to the top. I'm wondering how to get rid of it. On a side note, my pond has 2 Koi and 2 red-eared slider turtles. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

I had that problem for a while with my pond in phoenix. I used a swimming pool net to scope the junk up, put it in buckets, then put the junk around plants (they loved it) The string algae would grow up from the muck.
Since then did more sweeping of the bottom into the bottom drain, kept it cleaner.

Now have a professional taking care of pond, since I am in maryland.

Reaction score
Thank you, addy1, for the helpful information. Some added info on what I have: I have a Laguna Pressure-Flo 2100 filter and a Laguna Max-Flo pump, which has good water flow. In addition to scooping it out of the bottom, is there any kind of algae remover that I can put in the pond to help keep it from growing as well as help clear up the water?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use a net if I get any accumulation on the bottom and during the hot days, if I have anything float up, I net it as well. This year, I am going to start using a shop vac and see how that goes.

Single cell algae can be controlled without chemicals or UV by having a good bio filter, circulation and floating pond plants.

Mine is always clear.

Ask a Question