End of season satisfaction!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good to hear you had a good year Peter.

Things went well for me this year too except for the fact it was so hot outside I didn't want to spend time working around the pond.

One thing that was odd for me is that my water lettuce and hyacinth didn't do well for some reason this year. I normally have to thin it out all summer because it grows/multiplies so well. And then at the end of the season i pull a lot of big plants and have to get rid of them. This year that didn't happen. My hyacinth bloomed once and Im not even sure it multiplied at all. The water lettuce multiplied but never really took off like it has in the past for me.

I may not bother with them again in the future.

Mine didn't do well either! The water lettuce shot off babies but they stayed very small. The hyacinth didn't have babies at all and no flowers either. I thought it was just me. (I'm in central Mass)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine didn't do well either! The water lettuce shot off babies but they stayed very small. The hyacinth didn't have babies at all and no flowers either. I thought it was just me. (I'm in central Mass)

That's odd, I wonder why? Here in Ohio we had a dry, warm summer. Pond is in the same place with the same amount of sunlight etc. Not sure why they didn't do well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's odd, I wonder why? Here in Ohio we had a dry, warm summer. Pond is in the same place with the same amount of sunlight etc. Not sure why they didn't do well.

Me also! Same everything. Two years back I had so many water lettuce they almost covered my pond which is not small. I thought I bought inferior plants!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Good to hear you had a good year Peter.

Things went well for me this year too except for the fact it was so hot outside I didn't want to spend time working around the pond.

One thing that was odd for me is that my water lettuce and hyacinth didn't do well for some reason this year. I normally have to thin it out all summer because it grows/multiplies so well. And then at the end of the season i pull a lot of big plants and have to get rid of them. This year that didn't happen. My hyacinth bloomed once and Im not even sure it multiplied at all. The water lettuce multiplied but never really took off like it has in the past for me.

I may not bother with them again in the future.

Wow ~ Same with bad water lettuce and hyacinth ... never saw them barely grow .... I also have to normally thin them out. Thought is was water parameter problem but my water was perfect all year!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I take mine out and put them in a tub with water and miracle grow .Then they take off in the pond .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
"Perfect" water may be the problem. You may not have enough nutrients in the water for the floaters to thrive. OR your fish got bigger and are nibbling away at the roots, keeping them from growing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I take mine out and put them in a tub with water and miracle grow .Then they take off in the pond .

I MUST remember next year. I guess I'm just to excited to get something in the pond and want plants in there right away.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just like anything the wait is worth it .I over winter mine in the basement in a concrete mixing tub .This year I am going to use a stock tank .I have plants before any one gets them and even sold some this past spring to my local plant nursery and they had them ready to sell almost 2 months ahead of time .They even asked me last week about them ,I don't understand why they think it is so hard to over winter them .

Ask a Question