Fake Moss?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm just before plumbing this huge pondless waterfall I undertook a few months back. I'd seen on a YouTube tutorial where a guy stuck some live moss onto the black waterfall foam, to make edges, between rocks, etc look more realistic. This morning I collected some moss out of my woods and tried that technique out, and I must say it looks great. I'm concerned though that most will likely die, as my waterfall gets too much sun.

I saw on Amazon a pretty realistic looking "fake" moss. I was wondering if anyone had ever used this on a waterfall? I imagine from a distance it would look realistic, but wonder if it'll hold up being outside all the time.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I dont have any experience with the fake moss. Personally I would probably look for a live plant that could give you a similar effect, a ground cover that could grow over the stone. Moss is definitely great, but like you said you need the right conditions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dont have any experience with the fake moss. Personally I would probably look for a live plant that could give you a similar effect, a ground cover that could grow over the stone. Moss is definitely great, but like you said you need the right conditions.
I think I may at least order some from Amazon, since they have the return policy. This particular one claims it was made from real moss, dried out, dyed, etc. We shall see. On this build I had to cut into a deep hillside. Rock selection and placement were definitely not ideal, due to many factors I won't go into now. I'm just trying to make it look as natural looking as possible. Here's a pic of the real moss I grabbed from my woods behind the house. Pretty sure there's not enough for all I need to cover, even IF it survives, which I seriously doubt,..unless once the water is splashing it helps keep it alive.

Attachments

• 20231026_152521.jpg
    20231026_152521.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 14

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
@msr0459 There are types of moss that grow in full or partial sun. Some need to be kept moist tho. Just do a google search for full sun moss or something similar. I found Irish and Scotch moss that look kinda like moss but really aren't but can be used like moss. https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/articles/irish-and-scotch-moss-sagina-subulata-and-arenaria-verna/
Yes, I'd already seen those varieties searching Google. Also agree that they don't really look like moss..not bad though. If this fake stuff looks, well,.. fake, I'll definitely have to find a sun loving something. In the summer that area gets hammered by hot sun from around 11am to 3pm or so.

I'll report back,.. it's supposed to arrive Saturday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hope it works out for you, will be interesting to see. The last few weeks I have transferred some moss to my new pond. The moss from the patio was weird, it was like a toupee, lifted right up. I put it along the stream edges, and they seem to be doing ok. I also dug some from the yard and put it in and again seems to be doing well. This was a banner year for moss in my yard with all the rain. I dont have the same issue as you because a good portion of my pond is in the shade, under a very large Maple tree. The moss that was on the logs that I put in the pond area also seem to be adapting well. Just one of things you try stuff out and if it works, great, if not then you move on to something else.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm just before plumbing this huge pondless waterfall I undertook a few months back. I'd seen on a YouTube tutorial where a guy stuck some live moss onto the black waterfall foam, to make edges, between rocks, etc look more realistic. This morning I collected some moss out of my woods and tried that technique out, and I must say it looks great. I'm concerned though that most will likely die, as my waterfall gets too much sun.

I saw on Amazon a pretty realistic looking "fake" moss. I was wondering if anyone had ever used this on a waterfall? I imagine from a distance it would look realistic, but wonder if it'll hold up being outside all the time.

Thoughts?
not all moss is the same some can grow in full sun but needs lots of water some will go dormant sorta speak in the hot sun and fold up and when it cools they open up and start growing again

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just an update on the fake moss I purchased. Because of my not being able to place framing rocks like I wanted, due to the very steep hillside waterfall build... I'm attempting to make rocks appear to be embedded into the earth and moss is growing around them, etc.

A work in progress, but most of this is the "fake" moss (allegedly made from real moss though)... the moss on the rocks is mostly real moss, but yellowing a bit now. I'm banking on the fake stuff fading some over time. I applied it by laying down black foam, and just sticking it on.

Attachments

• 20231106_155405.jpg
    20231106_155405.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 17

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just an update on the fake moss I purchased. Because of my not being able to place framing rocks like I wanted, due to the very steep hillside waterfall build... I'm attempting to make rocks appear to be embedded into the earth and moss is growing around them, etc.

A work in progress, but most of this is the "fake" moss (allegedly made from real moss though)... the moss on the rocks is mostly real moss, but yellowing a bit now. I'm banking on the fake stuff fading some over time. I applied it by laying down black foam, and just sticking it on.
Looks good to me!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Hopefully thee brand you bought is better that what i got as a gift. i had a full sun area so i said why not ill give it a shot. the color was way to green but i figured it would fade and now being 5 months latter there's no a drop of moss left on the fabric.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hopefully thee brand you bought is better that what i got as a gift. i had a full sun area so i said why not ill give it a shot. the color was way to green but i figured it would fade and now being 5 months latter there's no a drop of moss left on the fabric.
Did you also stick in on with black foam? If that happens to mine, it won't be a big loss from a financial standpoint, BUT, will be a HUGE waste of time,...a very long and tedious process.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes i did and i believe i probably mentioned waterfall foam here to hold moss down a few times

Ask a Question