76.4 KB · Views: 290
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 302
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 294
Reaction score
I'm guesstimating you have about 67 inches of goldfish and 8 inches of koi. Counting the koi inches as double, you're still under 100 inches of fish so I wouldn't consider you overstocked. Now this is assuming normal conditions, an effectively working filtration system, etc.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just noticed what looks like a fire ball and it does look new but I would not light it there or keep it there heavy rains can wash fuel into the pond and the smoke from it can add a slick to the pond that can be toxic .I remember seeing a show on tv and they put one in the pond and people were saying that the fish kept dieing .looks healthy enough you just may need an aerator

Reaction score
dont worry those balls are just for show and have not been lighted yet and if they are they will be away from the pond

Reaction score
no more deaths

the fantails were the biggest fish in there by quite some way so i doubt they were roughed up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Based on everything you said it is definitely an O2 problem. I would make sure plants don't cover more than 60% of the pond and increase aeration either through waterfalls, air pumps or both. The key is that the fantails were the largest fish. I assume you found them dead in the morning?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
fantail76 said:
dont worry those balls are just for show and have not been lighted yet and if they are they will be away from the pond
I think the point was that if the "balls" contain fuel, whether lit or not, the fuel can leak or leach into the pond. Say, if you had a heavy rain. Anyway, may not happen, but why take the risk.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
CometKeith said:
Based on everything you said it is definitely an O2 problem. I would make sure plants don't cover more than 60% of the pond and increase aeration either through waterfalls, air pumps or both. The key is that the fantails were the largest fish. I assume you found them dead in the morning?
That's what I was thinking.

Reaction score
both found dead in the morning

i always thought plants created oxygen for the fish so the more the better for the pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have had no other deaths and other fish seem fine then I would just add more air to the pond .It could come from a pond pump or an aerator whichever is cheaper .If fish look healthy and are acting normal maybe something was wrong with the fantails .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They use up all the oxygen and more at night and that does not help water quality for fish .If you remove a few for now or just add a small pond pump to move water as that adds more oxygen also .The more water moves the better the oxygen

Reaction score
I agree with the suggestion about increasing aeration. I would also suggest taking a look at your filter setup to make sure everything is working properly. In theory the filter could be more than sufficient, but if something is clogged or not working right that could compromise its effectiveness.

It's also important to have good circulation with your water currents. If you get a lot of water movement around the perimeter that creates a vortex like action.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
fantail76 said:
both found dead in the morning

i always thought plants created oxygen for the fish so the more the better for the pond
I know, odd, isn't it? I never knew, or even thought about it until I became a pond owner....!

Ask a Question