j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bought a Laguna Max Flo 4280gph pump this time. I had a pondmaster 2400 gph but I want more of a hard flow to the falls. It's just whatever you prefer. The bigger will just turn the pond water over faster. Yes the new one will hook up to the pre-filter just fine. That's what Colleen has and I believe she uses a 4200 on hers. I never have to get into the water to clean the pre-filter. Always have some strong cord tied to the pre-filter to lift it out easy. I and hubby made another pre-filter out of and old swimming pool filter. Gonna wrap matala fiber around it and call it good.

IMG_6543.JPG

Just saw your post pop up now about the Smart pump. Talk to @sissy about that as I think she tried to use one of those and I think if I remember right it turned out not to be too smart but I could be wrong.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@sissy where are you?? LOL
I don't think I even need the filters since I don't have fish but right now I have that crate over the pump to catch algae and such so I don't have to fish it out every other week but I like your "non swimming" option since I wouldn't have to do anything but rinse those out when my waterfall starts slowing down. I might get the larger pump then so I can move the bottom water around mo bettah. :love:
Oh and that's a sassy new filter you're making there! You are so inventive, I like it!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Found it laying on the road and light bulb lit up in my head. Ripped off the pleated paper stuff and hubby attached the stainless steel stuff and it's now good to go.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My brain is big ole poop head. I'm back on the Laguna wagon. Found the 2400 for the same price as the smartpond 2000 through Webbs Water Garden. Everyone seems to say that Laguna us the way. Right?? RIGHT???? Hehe I'm a mess.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry I was on delivery and you can use a hole saw to dril a hole in the cage to put the hose through to put the prefilter on .Even though the laguna say it uses 100 watts if you check it out it uses less watts because it hits it's sweet spot .Seems the bigger those the less power it uses .I did a piece here on the pumps with the watt tester

Attachments

• pond 008.JPG
    pond 008.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 271

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The cage should have nothing to do with the pump because you can buy replacement cages .They sent me an extra cage for 1 of mine because 2 of the little yellow spring lock screws were messed up .They use a flat head screw driver but all you do is push and take a slight turn and they pop up .You do not unscrew them

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh ok well that makes sense. It should be here the same day I leave for Florida so I will take a look at it when I get back. Do you have pictures of your pre-filter set-up? I think j.w posted some I'm just curious to see how they hook up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't use a prefilter I just have my pumps hanging from pipes across my pond

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I gotcha, I went back and say some pictures. Is there any reason why I should put my pump on the bottom? I've heard it should be so that you are moving the lower level of water but I think I'm going to run a Y connector off my new pump, splitting the water to the waterfall and then the rest to recirculate on the bottom. That should allow me to put the pump closer to the surface so I can pull it out for cleaning without having to get into the pond.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have another question. Currently I have a ball valve at the base of my bog. It allows me to direct water from the pond either to the bog or to an external hose for drainage. Here is what I'm thinking of doing with the new pump. I currently pump 700gph to the waterfall. The new pump is 2400gph. I bought the Y connector for the pump. 1 side will pump to the bog through a standard 3/4" heavy duty hose (what I'm currently using). The other side I will attach a larger diameter pipe, (1 1/2" probably), to circulate the bottom of the pond. I think that will naturally split the water flow less than 50/50 meaning I will have less than 1200gph pumping to the bog. Can I then use the ball valve at the base of the bog to control the water flow or does the ball valve have to be placed at the pump?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only bad thing about pulling water from the bottom of the pond is if anything happens you will drain your pond almost to the bottom and fish cannot survive that .I hang my pumps from a metal pipe across my pond .I just tie a rope that is for water use to the handle of the pump and then around the pipe .I also use sump pump hose because I am cheap

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So as long as I circulate the bottom of the pond, I am ok putting the pump closer to the surface? I'd rather have it higher so I can fish it out without having to get into the pond anyway.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't have circulation on the bottom the water just mixes naturally since it is always moving and my pond is 4 ft deep and have never had a problem .Fish are swimming and mixing water up also

Ask a Question