sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would call that grey and green pond with water ,it makes for a nice pic ,for sure .:)Can I ask how tall is your rain barrel as it looks smaller than the ones I see around here .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have read of some going to yard sales, getting small plastic toys, plastic silverware, anything that is light enough to float around and a rough surface to hold the bacteria.
Wander a store like walmart, target, sometimes you will see something and go wow! that might work!

Ok, so here's an idea. What about water bottle caps? They're a good size, shape, and have rough edges, and float.
DSCN4255.png

I saw one with those pool noodles cut up
Yeah, I saw a video with one of those used. I may try that to some extent.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have the wood barrel ones here but all the ones I saw were 5 ft tall .They were as tall as me .I have never see shorter ones that would make a great 2 nd filter for my pond and I would not have to hide it either .I was looking at the wood barrel pots made of fiberglass but they are so wide at the bottom it was a problem .Would stick out to far over the reataining wall on my pond .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have heard people using them and using those strap things they put on 6 packs of soda

Reaction score
They have the wood barrel ones here but all the ones I saw were 5 ft tall .They were as tall as me .I have never see shorter ones that would make a great 2 nd filter for my pond and I would not have to hide it either .I was looking at the wood barrel pots made of fiberglass but they are so wide at the bottom it was a problem .Would stick out to far over the reataining wall on my pond .

I got mine from Home Depot.

Reaction score
JB,

I read somewhere in this thread that you desired a budget of $0.00 for your filter system. I understand your point, and although it may have been said a bit "tongue-in-cheek"ish, I think that such a goal is not totally irrational or unobtainable. If you know and understand the necessary requirements (mechanical filtration, biological conditioning and water polishing) that your pond will need, then you may go out in search of the elements to construct your own filter system for virtually little or no cost.

This is what I call being a scrounger with a SWAG mentality. When I use the term SWAG, I refer to Scientific Wild Ass Guess.
What I mean is going "dumpster diving" to find junk that you may or may not be able to utilize here. There are endless possibilities in the scrap heaps, backyard sheds filled with unused buckets and tubs and plumbing companies trash that you could obtain for free if you ask.

Sand, gravel and rock media including lava rock are relatively inexpensive and possibly free from nature if you just need a little. Discarded scrap PVC pipe of small diameter, drinking straws, even plastic fan blades and grills from expired window fans could possibly be useful. How about plastic buttons, hair curlers or ladies nylon stockings from the dime store, thrift shop or Good Will store. Check laundramats and carwashes for HDPE plastic barrels to use as the chambers, you should find anything from 5, 10, 15, 30 and 55 gallon capacity for free or just a few dollars. Maybe there is even an old leaky garden hose in your shed that you could dice up into short pieces.

Set your mind to the task of designing a mechanical filter, followed by an areation system, then a biological conversion system and a polishing system if deemed necessary.

It does not have to be expensive and it does not have to look pretty, it just has to work and be maintenance friendly. As long as you understand the function of each part of the system, the how and why it works and what is necessary to keep it functioning, you can proceed to DIY your own filtration system that will fit your budget, your space requirements and serve the biological requirements of the pond's ecosystem.

Read all you can about water quality and what can be done, what must be done, to control it for the health of the ecosystem of the pond so that you understand the science behind it.

Don't make it a chore, make it a hobby. Afterall, a great part of the enjoyment is creating this through your own hands and mind.

Gordy

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep! Not a bad idea. You are a good scrounger! They are not Kaldness K3 media, but they are free and we like that word... FREE
:)

Gordy

Yeah, when @JohnHuff mentioned straws, my mind started going, and I know enough people that drink water that I could have enough in no time! :cool:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow I can add all those plastic thingy's to my big 30 gal stainless steel waterfall tank my hubby built for me. Right now it just sits there w/ just plain pond water running through it. The water enters through the bottom and swirls around upwards. Can I just throw a bunch of those plastic pieces in there and put a screen on top to hold them all in or do I have to do something else? And then can you just leave it all in there like that and not clean it out cuz the water runs out the top as a waterfall? There is no drain to clean it out.

IMG_4095.JPG

IMG_4097.JPG

IMG_4103.JPG

Ask a Question