Filter idea...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
j.w, just throw them in, but make sure you have grates on both sides so they don't sink into the ingress or wash out of it.

Last edited:

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
From what I have read you will increase the efficiency of the filter if the media is not submerged?
That's too broad a statement, it depends on many things, not just if the media is submerged or not.

In the most fundamental sense of the word, efficiency is increased if bacteria have increased access to nutrients and O2.

E.g. if the media is not submerged but it doesn't get enough water, then it's not more efficient since it doesn't have enough access to nutrients.

If the media is not submerged but gets a constant flow of water and air, then it's more efficient.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could get some of those dollar store laundry bags to put them in so you can just pull the bag to clean them if you need too

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
you could get some of those dollar store laundry bags to put them in so you can just pull the bag to clean them if you need too
That would defeat the purpose of them "moving" around. Moving media is suppose to be free to circulate.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
great ideas you all, going to fill up my shubbie tank filter with stuff then put plants on top like last year

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
still could move in the bag as long as you do not crowd the bags with them .Only way besides a grate to keep them from escaping in JW filter .Not sure how you would put a grate in that filter without weighing it down and that would stop them from moving some also

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I first have to figure out what I can use for a grate. I missed my chance on a stainless steel grid as hubby was way down south one day a few wks ago at his old sheet metal job site but I didn't know I needed it til now. I suppose I could find some kind of plastic grating and cut it round so it fits tight on the bottom or put a rock on it to hold it down. Then throw the stuff in and put some kind of grate or netting on top to keep it all in. Think I will have enough flow sissy w/ just a rock holding the bottom one down. I was picking up water bottle lids as I walked my 6miles yesterday. It's gonna take awhile to build up enough supply of those................well I could ask my neighbors to save them for me and any small plastic lids will do as long as from food safe products. And you can mix and match w/ other things, like the curlers etc. Not like I'm trying to win any prize by keeping everything the same all prim and proper like

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how big is the tank ,because they have those grill grates in 5 sizes in my lowes and they are stainless and they start at 9.99 .i wish i had taken a pic yesterday when i was in lowes and saw them You put them over charcoal grills or pits i guess .The ones you build out of those retaining wall block .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh my hubby said when he stopped at walmart yesterday they had them there too .You could buy to and just reverse there directions

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks sissy. The diameter of the hole is only about 12". Now that you mention the grill covers I might just either have something like that or can find something at a 2nd hand store in the housewares dept.The holes or spaces can't be big enough for a small water bottle cap to fit through cuz if I shut off the pump all the water will suck back through the tubing and oops there go the caps or anything else too. It doesn't have to be stainless. I think there is some kind of plastic grating one can buy and cut it down to a circle to fit in there. Maybe they have small holed ones?

Reaction score
If i had that large stainless waterfall basin I would put mechanical filtration in the bottom of it and biofiltration on top of that. I would use the floor scrubber pads they sell at Home Depot etc. They are already round. You could trim them to fit. For biological filtration I would use whatever... bioballs, bottle caps, straws, k1 or whatever... I like the idea of putting them in a bag for easy maintenance.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
light defuser grating but you cannot find it around here they just sell that solid plastic stuff to cover those fluorescent fixtures

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Diesel, I did use it as a mechanical filter like that for awhile once and it got really filthy in there w/ tons of muck on the bottom and it was a real pain to haul all that media out and hose it all off and when I turned the pump off a lot of the gunk just ran back into the pond and murcked up the water. I have no drain on it or easy way to unhook the tubing from the tank as it is all covered w/ rock around it. I wish we had put a drain in the thing!

Ask a Question