Filter media

Reaction score
I use it, yes. It's fantastic. Extremely light weight. Comes in a netted bag and you just yank it out and shake it and the crud falls off and you put it back in. I got it at the same place you are mentioning here. You'll need 2 bags (buy the black one) for every 55 gallon barrel. But I also use matala mats in my barrels. This is biological media, you also need some filter media to catch crud.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
theres alittle over 13 cubic feet in a 100 gal tub...100 gals divided by 7.48(gallons in one cubic foot) =13.36...with the sump area on the bottom and area above outlet..10 cubic feet should do........

PS3

Reaction score
i think i will be useing this for my skippy drum. its ligther then the floor pads.
and it might be a little cheaper in the long un and when i stop the skippy in the
fall its much easy to clean then floor pads i will be ordering this this week. so i should be ok useing this and oil burner filter
on my bottom grate :)

Reaction score
sounds good. Ill probably mix it up and put a layer of floor scrubbies on the bottom to catch all the crud and then put the bacti-twist above it. Im installing a drain valve on my skippy so i can just flush it every couple of weeks and then ill prob actually take the media out and give it a shake a light rinse once a year or so.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
theres alittle over 13 cubic feet in a 100 gal tub...100 gals divided by 7.48(gallons in one cubic foot) =13.36...with the sump area on the bottom and area above outlet..10 cubic feet should do........

You're thinking of cubic feet for an item that is a compressed, dense item. Bactitwist is a springy light weight object that is loose and shredded and fluffy.

I have it in a 30 gallon barrel with just 1 bag with two matalas mats on a PVC stand/grid is just enough. For a 55 gallon barrel, you'd need 2 bags (inluding pads or whatever other filter media you will use underneath). So, if he's got 2 55 gallon barrels with scrubby pads or whatever else he plans to use, 4 bags will be fine.

And. yes, the stuf will last a last a lifetime. Which is also why I bought it. It's a bit pricey up front, but I felt it was an investment in something that would last forever. Just like the Matala mats. I'll never have to replace 'em. And I also got both items because I didn't want to haul scrubbies out of the barrel. I wanted something super light.

Reaction score
Pondjunky said:
sounds good. Ill probably mix it up and put a layer of floor scrubbies on the bottom to catch all the crud and then put the bacti-twist above it. Im installing a drain valve on my skippy so i can just flush it every couple of weeks and then ill prob actually take the media out and give it a shake a light rinse once a year or so.

Don't just put the scrubbies on the pond bottom. Build a little stand and out a grate of some kind on it first. You want a little space between your filter material and the crud.
CIMG2350.jpg

Reaction score
thanks for the info. Yeah i was planning on building like a 2" stand to raise it up. I know people usually go 3 - 4" but I got the 100gal rubbermaid stock tank and since its so wide i figure 2" will be plenty. I wanted to ask you to about the matala mats at the bottom. They look like there a lot finer than the bacti-twist so wouldnt it be better to put the courser media at the bottom to get the big stuff and then put the finer media (matala, scrubbies, etc.) at the top to get the smaller junk? Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Matala mats are not fine--they are sort of made of a plastic material but they are dense and about 1 1/2 inches thick. Then the lighter bactitwists in the bag goes on top. If you are putting srubbies in, I would put the scrubbies on bottom and bactitwist on top--otherwise the weight of the scrubbies or matala will crush the bactitwist down. You want the bactitwist to stay fluffy so that it can do it's thing.

Reaction score
darn. went to thepondoutlet.com to buy the bacti-twist and there price changes from 15.95 a bag to 21.95 a bag since the last time i looked at it. I guess thats what i get for not ordering it the first time lol.

Reaction score
Oof! Yes, I got it at 15.95. It's the spring, so folks are opening their ponds and they are prob taking advantage of that.

Send DoDad a PM. Not sure if he carries it or what his price might be if he does.

PS3

Reaction score
so in my 55 gallon drum i will be ok with 2 bags of this stuff ?
and how many inches of oil burner filter should i put on my bottom grate
i was thinking of puting at least 6 inches or more thick will this be to much??
thanks guys this site is kick butt

Reaction score
Yes, 2 bags will be fine. And then you use another media underneath to trap the gunk.I can't help you with the oil burner filter, as I don't use that media. I have several matals mats and then the bacti-twist on top.

Hopefully someone who is familiar with the oil burner stuff will pipe in for you.

Ask a Question