Filter Question

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
WOW! When you get to be my age you tend to question what people try to sell you or give you advice.Every Pond Co. uses what they can buy at a good price. By asking strangers on this forum who have or had the items i am asking about, it's like getting a Review. So if you can't give any help-full advise then you shouldn't reply.

Yup - you took it the wrong way.

First of all, I have no idea what age has to do with anything - I think many people research products before buying them no matter how young or old they are. And I definitely don't agree with you that all pond companies use whatever they can get the best price on - a reputable company will use equipment that they know is reliable and long lasting if they want a satisfied customer. If I felt that someone was only trying to sell me something because it benefitted them, I would question their business ethics on all fronts. But that's just my opinion.

Sorry if you felt my comment was unhelpful. I will refrain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well you know what they. If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, that's the odd part - it was said in an attempt to be helpful. We've had our share of members post about "ponds gone wrong" built by professionals they realized later didn't know what they were doing. I was hoping to save another pond owner from the same fate if indeed you were working with someone who didn't inspire confidence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello. I build my first pond this year, I have gone with the advice that seems most consistent regarding filtration, and that is stocking levels. I have an approximately 3,500 gallon pond, so I have five small koi. I have a 4,200 pump that sits in my skimmer, then pumps to a waterfall box filled with bio media and a filter pad. This I found works well for me, I just take out the filter pad and dunk it in a bucket of pond water to clean, then water the shrubs. I test my water all the time and have had no issue's in the ammonia and nitrate department. When I get more experience things may change, I am going to add a bigger filter next year if I need it, I can just add it on between the skimmer and waterfall. I also have plants in my pond to help the filter, the one thing is fish get big, since the start of the summer my fish who were less than a few inches in a bag, are now ten inches long, and that is only in one season. So to sum it up, pick a filter that you would be the most comfortable with, I like how straight forward mine is. I can purchase filter media anywhere and cut it to size, takes only a few minutes to clean, and I don't have to fiddle around with it, also as long as the pump runs it won't break down. If I had a lot of fish I'm not sure how well the filter would preform.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all ponds are different and all filters are different and the amount of fish and the amount of feeding we do is different .I don't really have time for my pond and fish are lucky they get fed 2 or 3 times a week and really the less over feeding we do the better the water is as long as it is filtered and aerated .My pond is now 5000 + gallons and even with the storms and heavy rain .Water is OK .I only tested for ph and ammonia this morning and added more crushed oyster shells .Some of the times we are the worst at ponding because of those poor begging mouths in the pond .We seem to always think they are hungry but we love feeding them and find it relaxing ,but is it good for water quality or fish NO ..I have finally built my second filter to get rid of the ugly temporary second filter and things have only gotten better .No skimmer no bottom drain and 12 air stones and 1 in each filter .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So if you can't give any help-full advise then you shouldn't reply.
They were just giving advice, asking a question to help understand what you were looking for. Take all advice that way, as their thoughts, opinions. Everybody here just wishes to help.

Ask a Question