Filter Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Been looking for a simple easy to maintain filter. I found several but this one doesn't have any sponges.Don't know how effective it is Need Help. Thanks

Attachments

• 20180915_140820.jpg
    20180915_140820.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 20180915_140902.jpg
    20180915_140902.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 20180915_140936.jpg
    20180915_140936.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 146
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
More information is required.
What gallonage of pool.

What sort of fish?

My neighbour has a pond of about 400 gallons with goldfish. He has an impressive waterfall and 6000lph pump which passes through something similar. But there is a foam filter in it. You can turn off the pump close the inlet and outlet and open a drain cock. Then a push-down handle compresses the foam and forces the crud out through a pipe into a garden border. You can repeat the process a few times. It also has a UV in it.
It can be dismantled (the top comes off) for more thorough cleaning.

It works quite well, but I'd suggest it's only good for small pools. It's more work than there is maintaining my 2500 gall koi pool.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never had luck with those type filters .Maybe if you only have 1 or 2 fish it may work .I had to flush the ones I had with built in uv 4 or 5 times a day and they had sponges and bio balls .They smelled like a sewer when I opened them they smelled like a sewer and I had them going to a regular filter I built for the pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The advice I'd give anyone before building a pond. Is to build a concrete collar first, before you dig it out. For most small pools six inches wide by 4" deep will be enough. In this way you can get it perfectly level. You'll also make less mess when you're digging it out and you won't be treading down the edges. You can choose what you edge it with later. Even a few flat bit of paving just placed over the edge of a liner trapped between them and the collar will be enough, you won't even have to cement them down.
But finish the edge high enough to make sure any runoff from an adjacent lawn can't run into the pool. In case you've used some moss kill or whatever on it and it's then rained.
You should also construct an overflow, a small length of pipe at the top of the collar, with a bit of hosepipe connected leading to a border. Or in the case of my kooi pool a 1.5" pipe leading to a house drain.
This means you can trickle change the water in the pool overnight if it ever goes a bit murky.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
never had luck with those type filters .Maybe if you only have 1 or 2 fish it may work .I had to flush the ones I had with built in uv 4 or 5 times a day and they had sponges and bio balls .They smelled like a sewer when I opened them they smelled like a sewer and I had them going to a regular filter I built for the pond

I wasn't going to mention this in case it puts anyone off. But I had to go and sort it for him earlier this year, as he'd dismantled it for cleaning and it leaked when he put the top back on. The spring catch wasn't holding as the "O" ring was knackered. I sealed it with some silicone.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep another problem is it can rack also .Put mine back in the box and they have been in the box now for 6 years I think .They were really cheap on sale but not worth even that price .Plus I built my pond way bigger since .Koi get huge really huge and if I had known that back in 2004 I would have not gotten them .Lucky they were dirt cheap at only a couple of dollars each

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I used a similar type filter for many years with reasonable success. It had matala filter pads at the top and bio balls below. Mine was made by Easy Pro.

As @sissy mentioned, it was a smelly affair cleaning it and in the heat of summer required cleaning multiple times per week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok Change of plans.Decided to make the pond around 1200 Gal. Maybe 2 Koi and Mollies and gold fish.
Based on this new size what do you guys suggest for a Low maintenance Filter?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they have babies and that is where over stocking comes from a lot of the times .You start with 3 this year and next year you may have 23 fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
More information is required.
What gallonage of pool.

What sort of fish?

My neighbour has a pond of about 400 gallons with goldfish. He has an impressive waterfall and 6000lph pump which passes through something similar. But there is a foam filter in it. You can turn off the pump close the inlet and outlet and open a drain cock. Then a push-down handle compresses the foam and forces the crud out through a pipe into a garden border. You can repeat the process a few times. It also has a UV in it.
It can be dismantled (the top comes off) for more thorough cleaning.

It works quite well, but I'd suggest it's only good for small pools. It's more work than there is maintaining my 2500 gall koi pool.

What type of filter do you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The installer suggested using these items.
PondMax EP2300 Pump and PondMax PF2400 filter.
Would love any pros and cons.Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Don't take this the wrong way, but do you not trust the person who's installing your pond? I'm just curious why you're second guessing his advice and asking a bunch of people on the internet that you don't know at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
WOW! When you get to be my age you tend to question what people try to sell you or give you advice.Every Pond Co. uses what they can buy at a good price. By asking strangers on this forum who have or had the items i am asking about, it's like getting a Review. So if you can't give any help-full advise then you shouldn't reply.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If you are seeking an all in one, low maintenance filter, I think this one is fine. Lots of folks begin with something similar and may upgrade over time as their fish or pond grow.

Only a suggestion, but I'd start with gold fish ( shebunkin and comets ) until you get the hang of things, they create less waste then koi....so the filter will require less maintenance,

Ask a Question