First attempt at a large pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Telion your pond and the setting are absolutely stunning. I would want to spend ALL my time out there watching the fish, enjoying the plants and wildlife that they will bring, taking in that amazing view. It's already EPIC and I can't even imagine how amazing it will be when you finish your BIG stream and falls. Absolutely brilliant!

Thank you so much it is exciting to get this and build, learn, and share. I too love the placement and the view too. I am already finding that I have that problem. last night I didn't want to come inside the house. I just wanted to sit out there in awe and it's not even done yet. It was so nice to see it actually full and the bog functioning. My wife had to make me come in for the night. At the same time I have so much to do not even counting the waterfall so I have to make myself keep going and see this through

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Looks great, can’t wait to see how the water fall looks coming down the hill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It was a windy rainy day yesterday and as a result the Russian olive tree had the skimmer putting in work

20180617_180141.jpg
20180617_195144.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow, skimmer did quite the job. very impressed! you gotta be happy.
Thank you, yes it did. Very pleased with its performance. Seems to do a good job and not so hard to maintain. Pull out a bucket and dump it.

Water seems to be clearing up a bit too. At least till my wife jumped in and brushed the algae off the liner.
20180619_163247.jpg
20180619_163240.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
good job telion it's coming along and nicely
Thank you. Next, as much as I hate to will be to buy some slate for the top shelves; I need to add a layer of protection from my bad but dog who does not listen from time to ti.e 200.00 for a ton won't be too bad though. I am also thinking I would like to use up so.e of the excess li er to create more natural big space. I could use the flow of the falls to divert water to and through it. And thank the heavens for clearance plants because who knows how much j have spent on this and this would have been amount x4 had I not bought everything on clearance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can finally see the bottom of the pond again. And oddly it looks kind of boring. I feel like I need to add a rock seat and some underwater plants of some sort to make it interesting. I am going to rock the top shelf and the stairs today too.
20180622_085059.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need some lilies, anacharis, anything that is alive.
That's what I am thinking too. I wish they were more readily available here, admittedly though I have only gone to a couple local nurseries.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your local nursery won't carry true aquatics usually. But if you are seeking below water level plants your local pet store should have aquatic plants. bacopa, creeping jenny, can be both a bog or aquatic, penny wart are fast growers but should be easily maintainable.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Try craigslist. I got some nice water lilies from there a couple of years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Found a place, lot cheap but it beats driving to California or having my dad ship me stuff lol. Utah water gardens. They had a friendly staff and a decent selection of plants, fish and supplies. Not sure I will buy too many plants there but we will likely get our fish there. It also has me thinking I should start sellin g plants on the side (not to forum members of course) anyway we bout some hornwort, another water hyacinth, and a Golden Alexander. I saw a few others I really want but I need to see if I can find them for less.

Ask a Question