First attempt at a large pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Had a great find today I have been looking for a 12v transformer deal so I can start working on the landscape lights. Came across this Malibu ML200RT 200 Watt transformer for 15.00. So soon we will have some lighting around the pond. I have around 10 to 14 lights to go around (possibly in) the pond. I will likely leave the threads of the lights that will go in the pond with silicone to see if that helps waterproof them.
20180628_210407.jpg

Also bought some API water testing stuff since the wife is getting antsy to get some koi.

20180628_194545.jpg
20180628_200650.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Found some baby koi at a price we could not resist and small enough to hopefully not disrupt the (what I hope to already be completed) cycling process of the pond these little ones are only about 3" long. My wife had already become attached lol. I will try to get better pics later.
20180629_212513.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll be the first to admit we put fish in our pond without waiting for it to cycle - I had no idea what that even meant! We never had a problem. Probably beginner's luck, but I bet it happens way more often than not.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nice, addition. I did the same as Lisak1, added fish no pond cycle. However, as I said previously I added a lot of plants directly to the pond and the bog, initially.

2-3” koi I added were in a stock tank all winter, by my garage. I rescued them from a pond demo, I did for a customer where we were redoing his waterfront, the previous fall. There were probably 15-20 of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'll be the first to admit we put fish in our pond without waiting for it to cycle - I had no idea what that even meant! We never had a problem. Probably beginner's luck, but I bet it happens way more often than not.

That's what I was thinking many people likely don't take the time to study to this extent before putting fish in the water.
Nice, addition. I did the same as Lisak1, added fish no pond cycle. However, as I said previously I added a lot of plants directly to the pond and the bog, initially.

2-3” koi I added were in a stock tank all winter, by my garage. I rescued them from a pond demo, I did for a customer where we were redoing his waterfront, the previous fall. There were probably 15-20 of them.

We have 7 I think lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After ALL the years of fish keeping the initial set up fish plants etc. Are what I consider the starters for the tank. unfortunately something has to die for others to live. Be it plants that the fish chomp on or the fish them selves die and the other fish or inverts and insects chomp on them. I know not many reading this will like my words but it's mother nature, survival of the fittest only the strong survive. I added beneficial bacteria and waited a couple weeks before the fish were added but now at 10 weeks I have loaded up the pond where there is about 25 koi ranging from 4" to 16" The insect lava and the baby koi / fry are thriving. birds stop in constantly and have a drink. We seem to be doing ok

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Found some baby koi at a price we could not resist and small enough to hopefully not disrupt the (what I hope to already be completed) cycling process of the pond these little ones are only about 3" long. My wife had already become attached lol. I will try to get better pics later.View attachment 112855
some good looking butterfies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good your doing a great job where it doesn't look like a string of pearls wasting on that stream and water fall
Thank you, still more work to go but it will get there.
some good looking butterfies
Lol that was the last time i saw the one. I just now say the others for the first time in almost 3 days..
The one I see the most (every other day) is the platinum ogon.

Ask a Question