addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great country, it is getting there. It took a little for ours to clear up with the pea gravel dust.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great country and I have tons of teeny tiny frogs around here ,some are not even a half each long .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Saw the fantail, she looks smaller than I remembered, but she/he is in there. (Sorry, anything that is "pretty" is a "she" in my book LOL). Saw her several times today, nibbling on the algae on the liner! That's seems to be where all the goldfish feed, instead of the floating food I put in there.
And, the plants I got from Addy and JW are all in the bog, pond, or ground, and looking great! My bog is CLEAR, pond is clear to the bottom, as I see a white block I didn't know was down there! Woohoo!!!!
Now, I just need to keep any predators away .... thinking of getting a big dog, since I went from 3 Goldens to none within the last 8 months! I feel lost with no big dogs, only 2 little Bostons.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the littler the dog is the more attitude it has .My pee wee bosses a pit bull around

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm so excited about the clarity, and I understand what you told me about the spongey stuff floating, coming off the bottom or sides sometimes. I netted it out several days ago and it's pretty much gone. Can't wait for all the great plants to take off now!
Yes, Sissy, little dogs usually do have BIG heart. My Bostons are more wimpy, though. LOL I would love to have another German Shepherd. If I could get one with attitude like I had growing up, loves people, only protective when no one was home, I'd get another in a minute! Lots of running room here at my house. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep country that's great :lol:
My fish are loving all the plants you and addy sent. They are going nuts and seem to feel much safer wandering around in them picking at them and checking them all out. Even the little ones are joining in for the fun :lol:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Glad to hear that, JW. My fish all tend to like to be under the floating primrose/ludwigia as well. I think they enjoy the shade if nothing else, plus they hide under it. I feed next to a bunch of it, and they pick the food out of it. I've not noticed any of it getting eaten, but I only have 3 koi larger than about 6". I wonder if other fish are finding any snails or any other tasty tidbits in and around the ludwigia. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My little yorkie, toothless, 11 years old, thinks she can take on anything. Her ability to scent out critters is unreal. Always at a full run, does a sudden stop, nose up and starts sweeping until she finds the cause of the scent. Has even sniffed out turtles, hiding in the tall grass.

She is one hunter, I just make sure the ground hog and her never meet.

My fish hide under the hyacinths, lilies, primrose, penny wort...........and all the other plants in the pond. They see me they come running........FOOD TIME...............

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
addy1 said:
My little yorkie, toothless, 11 years old, thinks she can take on anything. Her ability to scent out critters is unreal. Always at a full run, does a sudden stop, nose up and starts sweeping until she finds the cause of the scent. Has even sniffed out turtles, hiding in the tall grass.

She is one hunter, I just make sure the ground hog and her never meet.

My 5 month old golden brought me a dead rat the other day. Thanks but NO thanks. :regular_waving_emot She is always bringing me something she has sniffed out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats the big reason I'm glad I have a pit bull to go out and protect my pee wee .I usually go out with him but King Arthur follows Pee Wee around the yard watching out for him .My neighbor had her little yorkie snatched by a fox and since then she sold the house and moved .I guess the country life she dreamed of was not what she thought it was .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Koidaddy, yep, that pup is totally into you! Giving you his/her best prize. :)
Sissy, I've heard of coyotes jumping the short fences in AZ, snatching small dogs. My mom lived on the edge of a golf course, her next door neighbor had dog snatched by them. She had pics of 3-5 of the coyotes laying under the shade of a tree just outside her "wall". ANY dog, even a little one, could jump that short 3' wall. I know hawks have snatched cats in town where my boss lives, so nothing is safe, if it's small enough.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In arizona, we had a 6 foot block wall, on acre lots. The coyotes started walking the block wall looking for something to snatch. While I was at work, my other hub let my little girl out and the coyote took her, middle of the day, the yorkie I still have ran for the house and managed to make it. I would never let them out without going out with them, just in case one was around.

It is my job to protect this vicious little hunter, that could not hurt anything except maybe a mouse.

Here I carry a small 22 magnum, I would not kill the fox, but would shoot into the ground to scare it away if it got near us. She is never out of the house alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You go girl! 22 mag, huh? I have a 9mm handgun, same thing, I would NOT shoot anything, but I did not move here 2 years ago with my bloved chickens, because I saw red foxes in the fields around my house almost every day as I was moving things here. Open fields all around, so didn't think I had to worry, but foxes will hide in the corn stalks even in the wintertime. I hate to see hunters driving around my "block" (1.5 mile block, that is) looking for the foxes and then driving into the fields to kill them in the winter. That ticks me off, that's not hunting in my book. :)
I'm going to be looking for a German Shepherd, will take me a while to find one that will fit my temperment bill! Loves people, "looks" mean, would not hurt a flea .... unless something or someone threatened me. :)

Ask a Question