Fish acting lethargic

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I never add straight to the pond once fish are in, I put water in a bucket, add dechlor, let sit for a minute and let an aquarium vacuum slowly add it to the water, time consuming but hey.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - again, in general... with any kind of pond additive (and I really can't say I recommend ANY) more is definitely not better. When your fish already appear stressed adding lots of things to the pond all at once will only add more stress UNLESS you know for sure what the problem is - i.e. ammonia too high. Not trying to criticize - just suggesting that you slow down and try to figure out what's going on. Lots of additions to the problem only complicate things.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly you could forget about the bacteria starter, the stress coat, and any extra conditioners. One good product that takes care of chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals is fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I agree, I only added the stress coat plus and bacteria supplement yesterday when chlorine and nitrite showed up in results. The only other thing I've added since start up of the new pond was my extra pump for increased aeration

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The stress coat said it removes chlorine, heavy metals, and added aloe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm wondering why the chlorine would show up if you used dechlor? And why now if the pond has been filled for a week? Any chlorine in the water should have dissipated? Unless you have chloramines in your water supply?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I was wondering the same thing, I let the water sit for three days before I ever started cycling the pump/filtration.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Under the conditions that you have described.....your fish are stressed. They have been in a completely new environment for only about a week, the pond has yet to cycle. you have unnecessarily added 'snake oil' pond treatments.....and, if I read correct;y the pond is only half filled.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When ever I have a situation where my fish are acting "off" first thing I do is a water change.

Nine times out of ten when fish become ill or start dying it is due to water quality.

Considering you have nitrite showing up and fish acting off/ill I would do a water change.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Pond right now

Attachments

• IMG_2727.JPG
    IMG_2727.JPG
    306.1 KB · Views: 205

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
When ever I have a situation where my fish are acting "off" first thing I do is a water change.

Nine times out of ten when fish become ill or start dying it is due to water quality.

Considering you have nitrite showing up and fish acting off/ill I would do a water change.
The pond is in the early stage of cycling (one week).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right, In an earlier post I recommend using Prime (to detox the nitrite) but since she obviously doesn't have Prime the next best thing is to do a water change (or use salt but I didn't want to get in to all that being it's a pond and not a quarantine)

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Jetta , what is the pond volume and how many inches of fish, number and size, do you have in it? I think @Meyer Jordan has it correct , it's basically a new pond except I'd expect to see something other than 0 for ammonia. But let's make sure that you system isn't overloaded because if it is you may need to take a different approach.

Also, I used to use the stress coat declornator with aloe but switched to pure declornators and just recently the cloromine and heavy metal neutralizer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Oh my! My husband guesses 500 gallons, I have three six inch shybunkins, two three inch shubunkins, one six inch koi. And four one inch babies. I will get a better estimate on volume. (I add water by the bucket so that's how I add dechlor for any questions on that)

Ask a Question