Fish acting lethargic

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Jetta , I threw out 3 jars of strips recently. One was for pools and had free chlorine and tested zero on tap water, maybe chloramine doesn't show, but gave me concern after reading about the accuracy of strips, if anything was accurate. Good job ordering a proper kit. Any improvement in their behavior?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jetta , I threw out 3 jars of strips recently. One was for pools and had free chlorine and tested zero on tap water, maybe chloramine doesn't show, but gave me concern after reading about the accuracy of strips, if anything was accurate. Good job ordering a proper kit. Any improvement in their behavior?
Not yet, they are all mostly lethargic, with one still sitting on bottom. Every once in while they will come to the surface, but mostly they are staying deep.

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Jetta , I am looking at pool liners and finding a lot, like most, treated with fungicides and all kinds of stuff bad for fishy stuff. Can you get them back in the stock tank ASAP unless you can verify with the manufacturer, not supplier, that it is untreated liner? I just don't think that they would be acting this way from a cycle alone especially if you are showing 0 ammonia. I don't know what to tell you about the water, 100% change might be too drastic, I'm pretty sure I had fish surviving in poor water and when added to good water died immediately. Tropical fish. But I am leaning heavily towards the liner being the problem.
I think you need all the expert advice here on what to do if the liner is the issue.

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_0684.PNG
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7615

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
When adding dechlorinator (any type) if you are adding water straight to the pond from a hose you need to treat for the total volume of pond water (not just the amount of water added)

Is this correct? what percentage of chlorinated water can I add without having to add any dechlorinator?
@Jetta , any update, I hope you fish are ok.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Sorry about the no updates, everything is still the same, water is green though so hopefully we are cycling ok. All my levels are wnl. Fish are still alive though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes, I've mentioned to my sweety that it might be the liner..... He's taking a wait and see approach too lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Another week in and my pond is super green lol. Yay! My fish are still lying low, but better. They are coming to the surface finally.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My one and only koi died yesterday, I came home and he was dead.... My other fish are acting fine right now, better than before. I have what appears to be ammonia burns on my fish, I'm not sure, it's just the only thing I can come up with from research. My ammonia levels have been 0 since the first initial reading. But my Goldie that is the biggest has a black spot on her back and a black fin. My sarosa isn't showing any signs of ill health, and I can't really tell on my spotted ones. Should I use melafix? Attaching photo to show what she looked like in June and now

Attachments

• 715E16C9-BB3F-4438-963C-4F109731520F.jpeg
    715E16C9-BB3F-4438-963C-4F109731520F.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 8B05E5A7-AB60-4409-88B9-54DD6AE5DDAA.jpeg
    8B05E5A7-AB60-4409-88B9-54DD6AE5DDAA.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 217

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ammonia burns the gills rendering them unable to absorb Oxygen, so the fish suffocates. Ammonia would need to be at extremely high levels to burn skin.
These black areas appear to be lesions/ulcers. These could be caused by many different vectors, but are now likely secondary bacterial infections. A full complete treatment with Melafix may staunch the progress of these infections. It is worth a try. If it fails the only other recourse is isolation treatment with a stronger antibiotic.such as Tetracycline. Medicated food is, sadly, no longer available without a veterinarian prescription.

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My one and only koi died yesterday, I came home and he was dead.... My other fish are acting fine right now, better than before. I have what appears to be ammonia burns on my fish, I'm not sure, it's just the only thing I can come up with from research. My ammonia levels have been 0 since the first initial reading. But my Goldie that is the biggest has a black spot on her back and a black fin. My sarosa isn't showing any signs of ill health, and I can't really tell on my spotted ones. Should I use melafix? Attaching photo to show what she looked like in June and now

As you are probably aware, most illness outbreaks in pond and aquarium fish are due to poor water quality.
Please test ammonia, nitrite, and KH as a priority and then pH, nitrate and phosphate initially and occasionally until you get the water issues resolved. Also test the source water you are using and "over" aerate the pond.

Possible illness is Myxobacteriosis, a form of Columnaris. I don't know if you can get the medication Phenocide specifically to treat Myxobacteriosis; or treating for Columnaris is effective. You absolutely need to address the water quality issue and give your fish a fighting chance.

My opinion would be to begin a water change regiment until you can discover and fix the water quality issue.

Ask a Question