Fish acting lethargic

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
According to an estimator online, my husband is off by 1300 gallons! I'm going to go with 1500 gallons, shelves and such. The average length/width is 10 foot, average depth for the three areas is 2 feet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - first thing you always want to know is the size of your pond. Dosing depends on the volume of water being treated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Well I only dosed for five hundred, but I'm not adding anything else to the water. I'm just not sure what to do at this point. Wait and see? Do a water change?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It seems if you're trying to get your pond to cycle a water change is just going to put you right back at square one. If it were me, I would take a wait and see approach.

I'm still wondering about that chlorine level - any ideas @Meyer Jordan ?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
'm still wondering about that chlorine level - any ideas @Meyer Jordan ?

What is the test method....strips or liquid? In either case. I believe that this is a false reading for Chlorine.
In addition, after only one week, there should definitely be noticeable Ammonia levels and Nitrite should be rising. I attribute the Nitrate reading to the old pond water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What is the test method....strips or liquid? In either case. I believe that this is a false reading for Chlorine.
In addition, after only one week, there should definitely be noticeable Ammonia levels and Nitrite should be rising. I attribute the Nitrate reading to the old pond water.
Strips. And I'm going to give it time. I'm as stressed as the fish. I feel stupid for only letting the water cycle for a week before adding the fish. I was just so worried about their stock tank making them sick cause it was small. Now I've made them sick. I haven't noticed any physical things like lesions or discoloration, just general lethargy. And I've been sitting by the pond, in the pond, around the pond since the start.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond or tank doesn't cycle without a source of ammonia such as fish (or by adding ammonia while doing a fish less cycle)

You could (or should have) moved the filter from the stock tank as well as the fish on the same day/time. If you moved the filter without the fish there would be no source of ammonia to keep it going.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Thought so. How long have you had them?
Strips are good for ball park readings. They are not very accurate and will lose testing integrity with age, especially if in humid conditions.
Invest in an API Master Test kit. These are liquid reagent tests and are much more accurate with a much longer shelf life.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What's the temperature of the water? Cooler water temps will slow your fish down.

And just one suggestion - adding chemicals to the water when you are already concerned about your fish may not be the best approach. What do you mean by "water conditioner"? Bacteria probably won't hurt anything, but I don't know how it would help either.
Sorry just saw this one and the water temps have stayed in the 70s most of the week, today they were closer to 80 with the heat we've had the past few days.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thought so. How long have you had them?
Strips are good for ball park readings. They are not very accurate and will lose testing integrity with age, especially if in humid conditions.
Invest in an API Master Test kit. These are liquid reagent tests and are much more accurate with a much longer shelf life.
Ordered one yesterday! After I got back a chlorine reading I was worried they may have lost their ability to read! I'm in Mississippi so humidity is a lifestyle!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The pond or tank doesn't cycle without a source of ammonia such as fish (or by adding ammonia while doing a fish less cycle)

You could (or should have) moved the filter from the stock tank as well as the fish on the same day/time. If you moved the filter without the fish there would be no source of ammonia to keep it going.
I have two pumps and had two filters, I put the larger one in the new pond and filled my new filtration tank with old medium. And that was done the day of the move. I had the pump in there bare for several days to gas off any chlorine, Even though I used dechlor.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gotcha ;)

Maybe that's why you didn't get an ammonia reading. Just a bit of nitrite (which is less toxic than ammonia but can still be dangerous to the fish )

Hang in there, hopefully this will get over with quick and your fish will be back to normal soon.

One thing I forgot to mention though, if you are still feeding I would stop. At least until you no longer have any nitrite reading. When you do start again do so lightly and slowly.

Ask a Question