Fish activity relative to temp

Reaction score
At what water temp. do you notice that your goldfish start to slow down?

I know that they can tolerate a wide range of water temps. , but when do you start to notice a difference?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Actually my goldfish stay active at colder temps than the koi. Under 55F the koi start to slow down, but I was out the other day and, although the ice had mostly melted, the water had to be cold. The only fish moving were the goldfish - and, while they stayed low in the water, they were swimming quite happily! Tough little guys!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As long as you dont feed them unil he temperature is stable for over two weeks at 11c or above all should be fine if they do eat it will be algae in the pond .

Dave.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah, I wasn't feeding anybody... too cold to take my hands out of my pockets! I was just enjoying a visit with my old friends who I hadn't seen since, oh, late November!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
He he all I have to do is go out and tak a peek under the polycarbonate roofing sheets to see ours there's alot to be said about it
might be an idea for you ?

Dave

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Dave 54 said:
He he all I have to do is go out and tak a peek under the polycarbonate roofing sheets to see ours there's alot to be said about it
might be an idea for you ?

Dave
HE HE HE... all i have to do is walk down stairs to the basement and to the pond. no peeking under anything.. there's even more to be said about that! that too, could be an idea!!! ...............................lol j.k. ya there D54.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My big pond fish swim around a lot even in the winter once it ices over a lot they seem to slow down, but have a sunny day and they are out swimming around again, even with the ice cover.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

It's been unusually cold here in FL and my pond is down to 52* F. Seems like the fish aren't as active. Could just be my imagination though.

It's gonna be in the high 60's tomorrow though :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey koi guy ours lived indoors for 22 years before they went outside lol
At least we can chill and get a tan in the summer ...

Dave

tenchi

Tenchi
Reaction score
I heat my pond so regardless of the outside temp, the water temp hovers between 50 and 55, and the koi feed, although I only use wheat germ. My waterlily is actually putting up new leaves in the dead of winter here in Ohio, pretty cool. The koi and goldfish hunker down in the deep end when the temp falls below 50. This happens only when the outside temp drops below zero. I keep the waterfall and filter running all winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Tenchi current teachings are such that heating your pond can with koi shorten there lives considerably and that you should allow them a time of fasting
Like yourself all our filters are up and running but everything is insulated and the pond and filter housing are coveredin polycarbonate sheeting enabling us to keep our pond clear of ice
I like yourself used to heat my pond but allow it to cool to just bellow the cut of temperature for feeding.
My temperature is at 10.6c at this time with the air outside at 7c .
Normlly they get a 30% water changeon a weekly basis during maintenance periods the rest of my time I keep an eye on the water perameters .
We wont feed again till the temperature has been stable at 11c for a number of weeks in the spring when we start them offagain on a diet of Wheatgerm and Garlic , the garlic protecting them against parasties to a degree as they diont like he taste of it, try making an extract of garlic or finely chop it and add it to your wheatgerm

Dave

Ask a Question