fish activity

Reaction score
when i feed my fish they devour the pellets then race around poking at each others belly's. does anyone elses fish do this? I try to feed them 3 times a day cause a 1/2 hr after they get fed they act like they are hungry again. As i walk around the pond taking care of things they follow me like puppies waiting for a treat. they also nose around the rocks at the edge, and the lillies are always getting bumped around.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
They will eat all day if some one is there to feed them...mine want but they dont get...if they beg a lot they get more...:icon_mrgreen:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Have you ever had a friend with a fat pet? It is the most disgusting thing you can do to an animal. A koi can get too fat as well.

My 8 breeder koi which are all about 18-20" get pellets once a day during the week and that amount is 50 grams (a little over 3 ozs). I do occasionally give them steamed rice, fruits and vegetables but the seldom eat any of it except the rice.

On weekends or when I'm home all day, I give them up to 2 ozs in the morning. They eat stuff that grows in my pond and are very healthy, look great and are very active. You should have seen the orgy 4 weeks ago.

Reaction score
Julius Leonid Maestral said:
That "poking at the belly" usually happens to my pond when there is a NEW arrival. How I envy the way your fish behaves as they follow you around. My fishes get spooked anytime someone or somebody's shadow hovers over them... :goldfish:

well it took a couple of weeks after i bought them. at first all they did was hide in the caves i put in the pond for them. Now they nibble on my fingers if i stick my hand in the water.

Reaction score
I feed them 2 times a day only what they can eat in a few minutes. I think most people here only feed 1 time a day.

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
For now, I cannot apply the "feeding measured by time" method often advocated by most koi enthusiasts as well as most of the members here, because of my spooked fish. Everytime I try to feed them they either swim away or just ignore the feed. I think its time for the old "deprivation" technique. What do you think? :goldfish:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
This time of the year I feed my Shubunkins twice a day. They seem to be hungry all of the time, but I would rather have them a little hungry than fowl the water. I have also noticed that they graise (sp) on the algee most of the time.

Reaction score
Julius Leonid Maestral said:
For now, I cannot apply the "feeding measured by time" method often advocated by most koi enthusiasts as well as most of the members here, because of my spooked fish. Everytime I try to feed them they either swim away or just ignore the feed. I think its time for the old "deprivation" technique. What do you think? :goldfish:

I had the same problem when i first got my fish. theywould wait till i was out of sight then come up and eat. I would just toss in some food and sit still for 20 min. it took about a week or 2 before they warmed up to me.

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
Oldhead said:
I had the same problem when i first got my fish. theywould wait till i was out of sight then come up and eat. I would just toss in some food and sit still for 20 min. it took about a week or 2 before they warmed up to me.

For now, my situation has improved slightly. I now feed them once a day. They no longer hide when I try to feed them but some of the fish still ignore the pellets. I always notice that they graze at the algae especially during the morning. I wonder if this grazing has anything to do with their lowly appetites. Even the ones that do feed just take a nibble and ignore the rest. :banghead3:

Ask a Question