fish are chasing chasing chasing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here's what my pet store owner guy says is the best way to acclimate them to the new water. I always used to float the bags, he said this is the "new way" ... take it with a grain of salt!
He always puts plenty of water in the bag for me to do this, so keep that in mind, as some pet stores put minimal water in the bag. Put the fish in a bucket (I use 3 gal, as I typically have 2-3 bags of fish, but an ice cream bucket or similar size would work, too). Let them sit for 5-10 minutes to be less stressed. Add 5 oz of water (more if you have several bags of fish ...) wait 5 minutes, repeat 3 times. He calls it the "5/5/5" system. In other words, he takes at least 20-25 minutes to add water from the aquarium (or pond) to the fish to get them acclimated to the new temp and water parameters. It has worked very well for me, and I can say I have lost maybe 1 fish in the first week after I started this system, so it must be working well.
If you are starting up an aquarium JUST for the fish you buy, JW, you could use pond water, as it would be totally cycled. If you have an existing aquarium going with fish, then just do the 5/5/5 system or float the bag, but always be sure to add some water slowly before you put the fish into the aquarium or pond, which I'm sure you already know. And, you're so very right. If you put them in an aquarium or tub or whatever, you will know if they will make it if they are alive after a week, whereas you have no idea if they croaked right away when you put them into the pond. And, after you have them for a few weeks, they are good and healthy and no longer stressed from being in an environment meant to keep them alive for a short period of time. Some are too far gone, others are hardy buggers, will live through anything. I've even bought some that looked really sad, like would not have made it through the day, and they survived. Good luck!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks peeps, I need to look now and see what's out there in the fish world............maybe beat the rush,lol!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
been doing that for years...just in the bag. i open the bag and add alittle pond water. in a few minutes i pour some out and replace with pond water. i do this a couple more times. everytime you do this it brings the water in the bag closer to the pond or tanks water, both in temp and chemistry.as your doing this, do not pour the bag water into the tank or pond. discard it. you dont know what may be in it. same technique basically, just in the bag.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JW, at the pet store today, they said that the feeder goldfish are still cheap, but won't be in another couple of weeks. The vendors will start pulling out all the "pretty" ones and selling them for pond fish, and about 3X the price. Same fish, just separating the prettier ones. My pet store does the same thing. If you buy what they scoop up, it's cheap. If you want to pick and choose the fish, it's 3X the cost. I netted my own, as they let me, knowing that I'm very careful and patient. I don't do it when other people are there, though, as they would get the impression it's ok for other customers to net their own fish! So, if you're thinking of finding some pretty ones, just watch every time you go to Wal-Mart or pet stores, and look through ALL the tanks. Like I said, the Pet Smart near me puts one goldfish in each of the tanks to help clean the bottom, so if you find some like that, ask their price, and you may be surprised like I was that they are as cheap as the little 1" ones, but they may be 2-3" long instead.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was getting my stock of kitty litter from walmart, checkout their fish, nothing to write home about. Some did not look healthy at all. I have a good enough herd, not buying anything unless it is so wonderful I can't pass it up. Since I never go into petsmart, hardly ever into walmart I am safe from finding any fish I want.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the tips CE I will check out the stores whenever I get into an area where the fish stores are. I'll not be buying them if they don't look healthy and I will keep them in an aquarium till Spring arrives if I find any good ones.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you've got a MEIJERS nearby. go there, they let you ( let me anyways) pick 'em a the feeder price and they always have plenty of sarassas in the feeder tanks. (i have caught and bagged 'em myself)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Darn no Meijers here. Have a Petsmart, Petco, Walmart and Jones & company pet store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Dang, KoiGuy, what happened!!! I thought you were a new guy on the block. LOL Looks like you got some teeth pulled and your cheeks are all swollen ... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
JW, the key is look often, every time you go to a store with fish, just take a gander. You never know what you will find if you don't look. I know when my local pet shop gets fish in so I tend to go the following day, after they have had a chance to settle down, and then I know if they are still looking healthy or not! I have been having really good luck with the tiny feeders putting them into my aquarium. Need to clean the water more often now, though, since I have about 13 in there! Most are still pretty small, except for the ones I got in December, which have grown a lot! All are midget compared to the huge Sarassas and Comets I got from PondKid, though. Wow, those are really large. I guess some of mine in the pond are that large, but most are 4-5" in my pond. Anyhow, check and look at ALL the tanks at Pet Smart, don't just look in the goldfish tanks. That's when I found the feeders that were 3X the size, because they put them in tanks with other fish and they were not so crowded and grew much faster. I think any, even the little ones, will do well if you have an established aquarium to put them into. And, if you have an established pond, put the pond water in the aquarium, add a filter and bubbler and voila, you have a good setup for them! Good luck.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I shall have to do that CE. Will have to drag DH in w/me as I can't get rid of him when I go out shopping anymore since he retired. We do all the shopping together now. I'm having to train him on how I like to shop. Make a list of what to buy, which stores to go to in a certain order and no wandering hither and yon inside the stores. Must go down isles in an organized style. Backtracking makes me nuts too. He always has to stop and buy coffee and then he spills it in my car. I told him he has to wash my car inside and out now to pay for his sins,lol!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol jw, I go shopping once every two weeks or so, sometimes once a month, get my mental list of stores to stop at and make the circuit. Hubby likes to wander also, when he goes with me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I wish I had a man that wanted to go shopping with me!!! That sounds like loads of fun. LOL Had to laugh at your organizational skills with your hubby, JW. Good luck with that! LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha I just let DH read this and he got a smirk on his face and said Yeah!, good luck w/ that B--ch! He just kids like that w/ me using that word and I call him one too sometimes,lol! Just friendly fire! Off to Costco now and various other stores :LOL:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I have my list of stores to hit, he usually decides not to go, since I am hitting store after store quickly.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
when us men shop.. we walk in knowing & grab exactly what we need or want and leave...with the possible exception of stoRes like HARBOR FREIGHT....you ladies like to doddle and wander the aisles, then theres an extra 100+ items that catch your eye and you have to look at. by the time your done, were just tired and frustrated... its not your fault ..your just born with the shopping gene.....lol

Ask a Question