Fish are hiding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
First thing I check when fish are acting off is the water quality (using test kit) and if it isn't a water quality issue then check for parasites.

By any chance have you recently added a new fish to your pond?
Sound advice from Maria Nepen and I agree totally with what she is saying another thing you could do here is sniff the water , then tell us what it smells of, if the answer is nothing its an indicator that your water is fine but back that up with a drop test check on all your perameters .
If it smells then its an indicator that your water quality isnt good again back this up with drop kit tests .
It's a little used thing in fish keeping nowadays almost a forgotten aid to good water "I use it all the time".. George Orme Author of the Book Goldfish and Koi ISBN 0862300207 touches upon it .
If all is well water wise then its either down to water temperature or Preditor's especially if they are not unwell .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you Kieth and Dave. I tested the water yesterday and all were fine but I did water change anyway. The water changed didnt help, this morning they are all under the rock again.

It could be temperature, even though it's not cold enough, but just colder.

I dont know about other animal. cant imagine anything in the city (well, small city).

the foliage has always been little because I dont have any sun so hardly anything grow.

oh well. I can only keep an eye on them right now. I think I did all I could? I tested the water, I changed the water, what else should I do?

Reaction score
Are they eating different food? I'm new but could warm weather food make them not feel good if it is getting colder at night now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just changed it to spring/fall food. but come to think of it I changed it after they were hiding so before they were still eating normal food. Could be that they didnt feel so well.. but it's been a week and they are still hiding...

Reaction score
I just changed it to spring/fall food. but come to think of it I changed it after they were hiding so before they were still eating normal food. Could be that they didnt feel so well.. but it's been a week and they are still hiding...
It is new food? The cold food is easier on their system so it shouldn't hurt them, right? @Dave 54 has said to include garlic to promote eating and winter health. I don't know just trying to help find an answer. I know when the temp dropped the first time my 4 fish hid until noon in one of my fish hides I dug into the side of my pond. I freaked out thinking the bird got them. They are getting even bigger this last month here and they like being packed in there overnight! Or maybe then know when the bird flys over in the morning?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in the city, as well, and we have had heron's visit. Have never seen evidence of a 'coon, but we occas. have a 'possum that roams around, though I don't think they bother ponds (do they?). We also have Mississippi kites that frequently fly patterns around the house, and while not known to go after fish, I think they would.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Our temperature has dropped from 18c down to 12.5c this last four days however they are still up and eating as Lisa said try tempting them with a little garlic mixed into the food either extract or finely chopped if that doesnt get them out then I have a feeling its a preditor

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sounds like SOMETHING scared them. Don't rule out a heron; A friend of mine in a heavily populated subdivision had his pond cleaned out by a green heron! Kingfishers are another possibility. Seldom seen, but they ARE around.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'll have to keep my eyes out for other animal then. My pond is covered by 2 large trees and I would think it's hard to see from the sky, but who knows! :)

Thanks. I'll try that Dave. They came out yesterday while I changed the water then stayed out until like 9pm (last i checked) then now back under the rock. They ate yesterday too (fed them fall/spring food now).

I am leaning toward something is spooking them. Either the birds, coon (very unlikely but I wont rule it out), or just the falling leaves.

The thing is, when I tried to catch them with the net and even went in the pond trying to catch them, they didnt even hide like this.

may be a combination of temperature dropped quickly and raised quickly that make them all weird?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Good news!!

This afternoon the fish are all out swimming! YEY! They are a little skittish but are out and about.

Let's hope they are out tomorrow too.

I will never know what caused it, could be combination of many things.

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I'm glad thing seem to be o.k. It is always interesting to me to follow other peoples issues for my own future reference.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good news!!

This afternoon the fish are all out swimming! YEY! They are a little skittish but are out and about.

Just keep a close watch -- something was bothering them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Good news!!

Nepan just a question here , when you changed the water at what rate did it go into the pond , I take it they came up to the hose as water went in yes?
It may well be an idea to check the temperature of the water going into the pond and the pond itself there may be a big difference which could also cause them to act strangely .
If you have a difference of pond to water going back in , then employ the trickle meathod of mixing the water , it takes alot longer for sure but at least you match temperatures .
Also do you have an airstone in your pond ?
If yes it may be an idea to up the aeriation of the pond .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks all.

Lisa, I like to read other people's problem too so I can prepare and not panic! :)

TM, I'll keep my eyes out for them. this is really weird and I still couldn't pin point the cause. It might be that the water change helped some how, but I couldn't tell what was the problem since when I tested the water was ok.

Dave, yes the water just came out from the hose. I thought about that a bit but the water from the hose was a tad warmer but I put it in the bog and let it flow out with the water that come from the bog and splashed to the pond water. I opened just half the water so it wasn't full strength, still not trickle method though :) I did it in the evening so I dont want to take too long and not wanting to leave the hose running the whole night. But next time I'll try the trickle method.

I have 3 places where water splashed to the pond. but I'll put air pump in just to see. I thought that the oxygen depleted in hot weather only?

Ask a Question