New fish hiding... do I feed?

Reaction score
Hi! I am new here. We built our pond last summer and things went pretty well for the first season. Unfortunately, we didn't get the net on our pond in time and had a TON of leaves fall into it. On top of that, winter was harsh and we lost all of our fish as well as one bull frog.

This spring I have cleaned out the leaves and have the pond up and going again. The water is clear, and I just put in a few small comets to start cycling the pond. (I also have been using ML Spring / Summer and ML/PL) The last few days I thought something had gobbled up the little guys but I went out during the night and used a flashlight and there they were all resting. The fish have hid REALLY well. ANYWAY, my questions is, do I feed the fish while they are hiding? They are not coming out of hiding when I drop a pellet in to the water and I REALLY don't want to be feeding the algae. What do you suggest?

PS my pond is approximately 1000gal, rubber liner pond with a waterfall. It has SOME plants in it and I will be getting more soon.

Attachments

• IMG_4933 (1024x667).jpg
    IMG_4933 (1024x667).jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 306

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I still have not fed mine, they will do fine. I have tiny fry, fish, tads frogs, but our water is still sitting around 50 degrees. I would wait until they are our and about before feeding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Been feeding ours for over a month now but hey whats a few more days if your not feeding ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too am feeding, but my koi are hogs in fish costumes! I wouldn't worry about them not eating at this point, give them some time:)

Reaction score
My water is 65 degrees and I have tried throwing in some food but no action. I even went out today and bought some frozen bloodworms.... threw a small amount right by where I KNOW at least one of them is hiding and still no takers! If I hadn't seem them swimming around at night in the dark I would SWEAR they had died, but NOPE.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Try adding garlic to your pellets in extracted or liquid form fish go nuts for it like cats do with catnip

Dave

Reaction score
Update... I can't believe it took this long but my fish FINALLY starting eating the fish food yesterday! I have been throwing a bit of food in the pond every day for the last three weeks, but after an hour I would scoop it out. The fish ignored it and would keep pecking at the liner (I'm assuming eating the algae) Yesterday my daughter asked me if she could feed the fish, I told they weren't eating, but she could throw a couple pieces in to give it a try.... THE STINKERS GOBBLED IT UP!!! When I threw some more in today they ate it up and kept swarming for more! YAY

Ask a Question