Fish are hiding

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Since last week my fish are spooked and acting so weird and all are hiding under the rock. it's been a week and they are still hiding. Didnt even come out for food.

The only thing that change is the leaves are now falling in the pond... can it be that they are spooked because the leaves falling? Last year I had a net but I'm not going to have it this year.

I live in the city, no heron.

I havnt seen them in a while... kinda feeling lonely :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
At first I thought that too. Then the water were actually only about 70 degree, not cold enough. And when they were out from under the rock, they were swimming super fast (ALL of them acting the same) and sometimes when they tried to come up for food, they didnt even get the food (turned and splashed the food before it touched the food/surface). then zoom this way and that at top speed.

And the last two days, I couldn't even see them. I'm hoping they are not dead and just down under the rock. the water temp is only 65 :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
yep, everything's good. no change in water, no heavy rain.

Reaction score
Country
United States
First thing I check when fish are acting off is the water quality (using test kit) and if it isn't a water quality issue then check for parasites.

By any chance have you recently added a new fish to your pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
nope, no new fish recently. The last one added were qt.
They didn't look sick thought. I'll check water again today. The last time i check was last week when they started hiding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
:( No I'm not so sure. I saw a few noses poking out from under the rock but I don't know if 'all' of them are there. a few days ago when they came out I think a few missing but I couldn't tell, they darted so quick I wasn't sure which one I saw.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hiding is a sign of something wrong or being sick. Any clamped fins? Are they eating?

I can't say that I have ever had a fish act spooked for an extended amount of time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No clamped fins, or bump, or redness, as far as I saw a few days ago. They just darted mostly, stayed close to the rock, together at the bottom, they swam fine if they were swimming just around each other but then darted when they were going some where a little further. A few days ago they still ate but not the last few days when I didn't even see them.

The reason I dont think they are sick is because it's all of them doing this, not just some. It could be the water, i'll check again... something might be up with the water (I have liquid test kit) I'll test it again tonight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If it's not the ager quality, could it be a predator other than a heron...a raccoon, otter, owl?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The water is fine, normal. Which means 0 ammonia and nitrite and 10 nitrate. PH 7.6. Nitrate is always like this so I'm not concern. But I did about 30-35% water change anyway.

While taking the water out the fish came out so u fed them and they gobbled the food down. They all look fine. No visible wound or anything. They seem calmer than before anyway.

While I put the water back in they seem to hang outside a bit more which is an improvement.

Will see if they go back in tomorrow.

I don't know about other predators. None if the fish is missing (just counted today) and nothing seem out of place. But it could be. Just I didn't think they would hide that long?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just wondering is there less foliage in your pond now than during the summer? They may be feeling more vulnerable for a variety of reasons.

Ask a Question