Fish constantly on top of the water

Reaction score
Got a bit of a problem with 1 of my favourite fish, unfortunately I can't remember the name, nor can I find the charger for my camera.

It's about 8" long, light black with a long flowing tail and pectral fins. They called it a Butterfly something at the garden centre we bought it at about 2 years ago.
The problem is that the fish seems to always be at the top of the water, with about the top 1/4 of it's body sticking out. I've seen to try to swim down a few times but it never gets far. It does seems quite "plump" and I have seen other fish chasing or rubbing up against the side of it, but this has been going on for about 2 weeks now.
I'm no expert but it does seem to be something to do with it's swim bladder, but if it is, what can I do about it?

Reaction score
What's the solution? Don't think it's like a bird where you just sit them on a hot blanket :sad:

Reaction score
Is this a real butterfly? Because if so, they don't sink, I've tried before. I would fish it out of the water and put it on a stick or something FAST!

Serously though, I've read that when they have trouble swimming up they will swallow air, but this is the opposite of your problem. I don't know if they have a mechanism to release too much air. I have a vague recollection that this is bad. Is it really lethargic while it's on the surface or is it trying like crazy to dive?

But the fact that it's fat and the other fish are messing with it, it does sound egg related. No idea what the solution there is.

Julia

My pond w/ tong,buyog,snow,skai,bubbles&ela
Reaction score
Two years ago my mom alerted me that one fish is not eating and kept staying on top of the water. I didnt have time to inspect during the weekday so I figured Id go see on the weekend. By the time I fished it out of the water it was too weak. I noticed the mouth was open and when inspected it had in it a plastic cap about 1/2 in diameter. My nephew must have thrown it there some 7 days ago. That taught me a lot about attending to abnormal fish behavior asap.

Reaction score
Del, do the eyes of the fish look like they are popping out? Also do the scales of the fish look like a pine cone and raised off the body of the fish? Have you checked your water parameters to make sure that the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are ok? A number of things could be affecting your fish. Take a closeup picture if possible and post it on here. Fish bloated with eggs should still be able to control their swim bladder.

Ask a Question