Fish friendliness. Goldfish vs. Koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
For those of you keeping both... whom do you think is more friendly in general?

I kept 1 koi briefly but he was a baby that was snatched by a predator. All my pond goldfish are just not that friendly. Nothing like the videos i watch of people feeding their koi.

So what are your experiences with both types?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My koi ate first out of my hand but my larger goldfish will now too. I would say koi are friendlier. I only have butterfly koi

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have found that both can be 'friendly' providing one is willing to spend the time with them required to counteract the natural tendency of all animals to view all others with mistrust and as a potential threat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Love the video @RobAmy :) I think koi like to eat, so may appear more friendly! That said, my koi are more curious about humans, than my goldfish were.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Certain koi can be very friendly, and once you have a friendly one, the rest will follow suit. I have koi in one pond, goldfish in the other pond. I don't hand feed either. When I walk to the point on my deck where I feed the koi, they are immediately at the feeding spot. If I was right next to the pond, though, they would not come close, and I'm fine with that. That tells me they will be wary of predators, which to me is a good thing, although I've not had any predators come yet!
I feed my goldfish by standing next to the pond, so there is a difference right off the bat. I have several fantails that will come right up and swim into my hands. I never pick them up out of the water, but it's fun for others to see.
I think like Meyer said above, it just takes a while to get them accustomed to your feeding habits. If you feed at the same time daily, they will learn to come up sooner. But, there are certain "colors" or types of koi that are "said" to be friendlier. All you really need is one friendly fish to bring the others around. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Just thought of another comparison. My ponds are both large enough that I get in them in the summer to groom the lily pads that are dead or dying, and pick up stones that got pushed into the ponds. The koi always stay away from me. The goldfish swim with me, nibble on my legs and arms, and I can easily put my hand under the goldfish and let them swim there. It's neat to know they trust me so much in their environment.
I think the goldfish are more likely to come to your hand in the water, but the koi are more likely to come and be fed ... they are bigger eaters, after all!

Ask a Question