7A
Country
United States
Also the temperature of the pond water and do you add aeration from an aerator

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Also the temperature of the pond water and do you add aeration from an aerator
i was going to write same thing , fry is very sensitive , aerator and water quality , circulation is very imp for fry specially if they are living with koi and big goldfishes , the water chemistry and temp can change quite much at time of feeding then at night or warmer days and i think its reason why very few survived , best is to separate them when they hatch and bring them back after inch in larger pond but his fry seems big now so ok . i learnt this in last few yers my fry were not surviving , i did few things now every few week i have fry surviving

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Congrats on the baby fish. They will change color. Not sure why but I get some that start black and others are orange from the start. It's interesting watching the color changes over time. Some change earlier than others. It's a mystery to me
yes its best thing to have fry and see them change and grow in ur pond , i have mixed too , i have raised few generations , they r very unpredictable if its shubunken they can have many genes from there ancestors , even if u dont have any variety in ur pond still u can hve them in ur fry , this happend to me , some can b white , some can even stay black , some may turn yellow then red from black even after year , but the sarasa fry are easy to recocnize they will be greyish white and head red or spots orange near head . that orange turns red and grey becomes white when colour starts coming and hatched fry is light in colour . good thing is u can see all this happening within 4 months from eggs to adult gf , my fav is sarasa they have sticking red on snowehite

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I didn't realize that .25 ammonia was that bad. I've never had ammonia at 0. I can throw in some Water Hyacinth. They are good at clearing up ammonia.

My pond is a 700 gallon stock tank (Plastic)
I have a 1200 gph pump.
Smartpond Black Pond Filter (2000 Gallon Capacity): https://www.lowes.com/pd/smartpond-Black-Pond-Filters/999949248

I tested the water with API Freshwater Master Test Kit. The only aeration is the return line from the filter.

The water surface temp is 73 degrees.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Most baby fish in my pond get eaten by the koi the only ones that survive are the good hiders .;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Most baby fish in my pond get eaten by the koi the only ones that survive are the good hiders .;)
do u have koi fry? can it be any other reason? i used to think same but i saw very very small fry swimming around koi unharmed , i assume the only fry they can eat are newborn which cant swim well and are easy to reach which are resting on leaves or eggs . accidentally eaten bcz i didnt see koi chasing fry to catch . if they survive 1st 3 days then they are saved , i made a portion which is at the end , where all the fry gather by them self and adults cant go , once fry enter they cant come out some how , its sort of skimmer plus underwater filter by airlift so there is some stream effect too .
i feel most of the fry die bcz of water quality and other predators like dragonfly larvae , i have many , they eat 90% fry or can b mosquito larva

Ask a Question