Fish keep dying, not sure why

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
most chemicals (including algaecides) are toxic to fish but the dilution of the chemical in the water saves them. When overuse of chemicals builds up in the water that toxicity can kill fish quickly. chemical toxins are not usually picked up in standard water tests. pesticides and algaecides can be really harmful to fish in small amounts. Usually toxins are about the only way a fish will die so quickly in water. Sad but sounds like you now have the solution. let a know how it all turns out. Remember to make sure the new water is matured well before new fish are added.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, it's sad. So many people come here with very similar problems. Some "expert" told them to add this or that all because the water is not crystal clear. As they learn more about this hobby, they find out that clear water is for us humans. The fish don't really care. Go to any lake or pond. Are they crystal clear? Do the fish live healthy normal lives?
If your pond is setup properly, time will work things out. As long as it's all balanced properly. Having too many fish, over feeding, not enough filtration, not enough plants...etc. will throw things off and cause one symptom or another.
You can achieve clear water as many here have done. But everything has to be well balanced.
Those who have bog filters seem to be the majority that have clear water.
I don't have a bog filter, but hope to add one some day.
My water is clear for the top 18" or so. But a little cloudy toward the 3 foot depth. I can make out the bottom on some days. In one respect I like it that way as to better hide the fish from predators.

Ask a Question