Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
FYI-
Dissolved+Oxygen+%28DO%29+Content.jpg
you know maybe to a scientist that would make sense...but to a dumb white trash blond it makes none

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Municipal water suppliers will, at times, greatly increase the amount of Chlorine or Chloramine add to the supply to 'purge' the system. If, by chance, you filled these ponds will this raised level of Chlorine was present, it would likely cause problems depending on the amount of water added. Has your supplier switched from Chlorine to Chloramine recently?

If both ponds were affected then something has compromised the water in both of them.
Based on the info in your 'signature', the 2000 gallon pond was not overstocked. For oxygen levels to suddenly drop would require more than the effects of temperature on saturation levels (you have not had trouble in previous Summers!).
Increased bacterial action will certainly deplete the Oxygen supply. This is what can happen when "beneficial bacteria" are added.
Certain chemicals will also bind the Oxygen supply. I have personally observed this happen in a customer's pond. All of the large fish died. Small fish were not affected. Oxygen level was almost ZERO. The Landscaper had sprayed a pesticide the day before.

and this I know as we can SMELL when the city does this...not to mention taste and the city has not done anything different with the chlorine as I called to boot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks all for any idea...but I'm thinking it's the oxygen with the heat. Unless someone purposely poisoned them. No spraying has gone on as both the house to the east and the west are empty. The neighbor behind me is afraid of snakes and will not go outside. (ya weird)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Adding cold water cannot help the fish .When I add water from my well I put it in my stock tank and allow it to come up to close in temperature .My well water is really cold .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So sorry to hear about your fish, hope the die off stops for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry about your fish. Often tap water is less oxygenated than pond water so water changes won't help a lot and may actually hurt. I would recommend getting another pump and make the pump water splash into the pond. Also you can set up shades, screens, planters ... anything that can shade your pond from the sun to reduce the temperature of the water. I can't tell from your statements but if you haven't been adding declor then it impairs the fishes ability to get oxygen from the water and it has a lasting effect. If you have't been using declor they are much more sensitive to lower oxygen levels.

Ask a Question