Fish safe coating for container?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! We found out the hard (and sad) way that a galvanized metal container is not safe for fish. My son did a really nice water garden with a fountain in a galvanized trough. The plants are doing well, but the two tiny goldfish died. I googled this (after the fact, like a dummy) and found that it's not safe. If were to dismantle the set up and remove everything, is there any product that we could paint onto the metal that would seal it, and make it fish-safe? Otherwise, we'll just resign ourselves to enjoying the plants.
Thanks!

At www.liquidpondlining.com we sell waterproofing materials all over the UK and abroad. Our Metflex Liquid Pond Liner is a one component liquid waterproofing product, which after polymerisation produces a totally inert, aquatic life friendly, elastomeric, cold applied polyurethane membrane. With a life expectancy in excess of 25 years it outlives most Butyl, PVC and Fibre Glass pond liners

Reaction score
Country
United States
In that post Catfishnut stated that "I have been using an eight foot galvanized horse tank for nearly 20 years to keep all sorts of fish in. Absolutely nothing to worry about, except the appearance."
What he doesn't elaborate on is how long any of these fish remained in this tank or if any of the fish had health issues.. Like all other Heavy Metals, Zinc is a bio-accumulate and an immunosuppressant. Although it is not nearly as toxic as Copper, exposure to even low levels over time can impact the health of a fish opening them up to myriad other health issues. Its toxicity does lessen at high pH levels.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a metal fish pond that is 45 years old. I have now cleaned it, and it has a leak. Since it is above ground and is encased in rock, I have not found the slow leak. I have used pool dye, etc. Any idea how to find or fix the leak?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I coated one with that rubberized spray on stuff .But I let it cure out for over a month in the sun .Then put water in it and cleaned it good and then put in water and crushed oyster shells in a bag and also activated charcoal .But my neighbor found a easier way she bought the galvanized tank and then bought a black rubber one that fit perfectly inside the galvanized one and it looks pretty on her front porch .She bought both at tractor supply and both were 100 gallons

Sorry for necroing an old thread, but Sissy, do you happen to remember the name of the spray? I joined just for this thread as it was the best turn up I searched in looking for such a spray coating. I have a small tub I want to line to make into a water garden as a "miniature" indoor version of what I have outdoors.

And for the record, I've kept a galvanized tub outside with goldfish for about a decade successfully and never had any issues with zinc. Not sure they use a zinc coating on them anymore. The only troubles there have been was I lost one or two fish in really harsh winters and after a decade, the waterline of the tub finally started rusting, making it unusable for fish anymore. Plants are still doing well though, not sure for how much longer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You could install a liner and hold it in by using pool liner coping. It's just short pieces of plastic that you push onto the liner. It works for above ground pools, why not your tank? And they are cheap.

Ask a Question