sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I coated one with that rubberized spray on stuff .But I let it cure out for over a month in the sun .Then put water in it and cleaned it good and then put in water and crushed oyster shells in a bag and also activated charcoal .But my neighbor found a easier way she bought the galvanized tank and then bought a black rubber one that fit perfectly inside the galvanized one and it looks pretty on her front porch .She bought both at tractor supply and both were 100 gallons

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Catfishnut seems to use galvanized tanks to keep fish and doesn't have trouble. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/galvanized-stock-tanks.11882/
In that post Catfishnut stated that "I have been using an eight foot galvanized horse tank for nearly 20 years to keep all sorts of fish in. Absolutely nothing to worry about, except the appearance."
What he doesn't elaborate on is how long any of these fish remained in this tank or if any of the fish had health issues.. Like all other Heavy Metals, Zinc is a bio-accumulate and an immunosuppressant. Although it is not nearly as toxic as Copper, exposure to even low levels over time can impact the health of a fish opening them up to myriad other health issues. Its toxicity does lessen at high pH levels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Simply that the galvanized container has not propperly cycled and this has led to the deaths more than probably why else should catfishnut have no problems and the Poster has .
@Catfishnut would be the person to ask about galvinized fish ponds

Dave

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Simply that the galvanized container has not propperly cycled and this has led to the deaths more than probably why else should catfishnut have no problems and the Poster has .
@Catfishnut would be the person to ask about galvinized fish ponds

Dave
No system will even start cycling, much less fully cycle, without a source of Ammonia. Unless Ammonia is added manually, fish are the only suitable source.
Just to clarify, the Zinc levels leached by a galvanized container are not high enough to cause any acute health issues in fish, but would certainly play a part in chronic problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No system will even start cycling, much less fully cycle, without a source of Ammonia. Unless Ammonia is added manually, fish are the only suitable source.
Just to clarify, the Zinc levels leached by a galvanized container are not high enough to cause any acute health issues in fish, but would certainly play a part in chronic problems.
For one we dont know the size of these goldfish exept they are small , they may or not be feeder fish @MichM like ourselves is looking towards high ammoina so in reality it could well have been that plus a combination of other problems that caused their demise not just one

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
We put out water and treated it with the chlorine remover -- added plants and waited 10 days. Then we got the two smallest feeder goldfish we could find. Very small -- about an inch. The fish didn't act happy from the get-go. I thought they were still and kept hiding because we were looking at them from above, like predators. The first fish died within 3 days. The second died a day after.
Took water sample after the first fish died and they said the water test looked great, but that the water was just a hair on the "hard" side. It's been two and a half weeks since then. I could try taking in another water sample.

If Ammonia toxicity, then where did the Ammonia come from to create levels that high. Certainly not from two 1 inch Goldfish.
After re-reading this one post, I am going back to my original thought, that the culprit was Zinc poisoning. New tank+heavy leeching+very small fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If Ammonia toxicity, then where did the Ammonia come from to create levels that high. Certainly not from two 1 inch Goldfish.
After re-reading this one post, I am going back to my original thought, that the culprit was Zinc poisoning. New tank+heavy leeching+very small fish.
If you go back to the original thought Meyer then how do we explain Catfishnuts fish containers , how does one go about negating this problem of the heavy leaching ?
Unless Catfishnut is using an older zince container that has already lost its toxidity ?

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Catfishnut does not specify what species of fish, what size fish or how long they were kept in his tank(s)
One inch juvenile Goldfish would show signs of toxicity much sooner than a 6 or 8 inch adult Goldfish.
There seems to be another possible culprit related to galvanized items.
"These thin zinc coatings are frequently coated with clear polymer topcoats to enhance their storage characteristics and in some cases, claims have been made that the addition of these polymer topcoats significantly improves the durability of the coating compared to a conventional galvanised coating. The addition of organic coatings to zinc plated parts is also a common technique that the manufacturers claim improves the corrosion resistance of their products."
AZO Materials.

They go one to state that these coatings will quickly deteriorate under moist conditions.
If this particular tub was one with this type of coating, that could very well be the 'smoking gun'. The coating may have been toxic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Catfishnut does not specify what species of fish, what size fish or how long they were kept in his tank(s)
One inch juvenile Goldfish would show signs of toxicity much sooner than a 6 or 8 inch adult Goldfish.
There seems to be another possible culprit related to galvanized items.
"These thin zinc coatings are frequently coated with clear polymer topcoats to enhance their storage characteristics and in some cases, claims have been made that the addition of these polymer topcoats significantly improves the durability of the coating compared to a conventional galvanised coating. The addition of organic coatings to zinc plated parts is also a common technique that the manufacturers claim improves the corrosion resistance of their products."
AZO Materials.

They go one to state that these coatings will quickly deteriorate under moist conditions.
If this particular tub was one with this type of coating, that could very well be the 'smoking gun'. The coating may have been toxic.
Agreed Meyer this may very well be the smoking gun weve been looking for however I still think we should see what Catfishnut says he may well be able to add something here

Dave

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Or it could be something as simple as a large difference in water temperatures. Young fish are extremely sensitive to large shifts in temperature.

Reaction score
Hi everyone! We found out the hard (and sad) way that a galvanized metal container is not safe for fish. My son did a really nice water garden with a fountain in a galvanized trough. The plants are doing well, but the two tiny goldfish died. I googled this (after the fact, like a dummy) and found that it's not safe. If were to dismantle the set up and remove everything, is there any product that we could paint onto the metal that would seal it, and make it fish-safe? Otherwise, we'll just resign ourselves to enjoying the plants.
Thanks!

Just a quick note, one way I secured a liner to a hard surface (like your trough), was I found some VERY long hose clamps (they are like 18" long) and chained them together. I would put in the liner, fill with water to settle the liner/flatten folds. Once full and settled, fold the liner over the edge. Then I would put the long hose clamp "chain" over the folded over liner, then screwed the 2 free ends of the hose clamps together. So in reality I just made one VERY LONG hose clamp, and clamped the liner to the tub. Not the prettiest, but it works. Then cut off the liner an inch or 2 below. You can paint the hose clamps black to match the liner so it would not be so noticeable, or disguise however you choose.

-Diane

Ask a Question