Foamy pond--quick fix???

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I see my mistake. Total volume of media required was 1 liter and volume of biofilter tank was also 1 liter and I glossed over that and did not even notice that at the bottom because it was all ones. I guess I'm at the lowest level because I have relatively small fish in a 2700 liter "tank". Plugging in different numbers into different cells I can see different results. It seems to react very strongly if the surface area of the media is changed. I'm not quite sure how this could help me. I would need to guesstimate the weight of my fish which I tried, but also my fish at harvest? Also I would have to estimate my media size which may take a little work. I saw the question about media surface area but he doesn't list the little bio-balls I have in my laguna bio-filter. How practical is this for a casual pond keeper and does it even apply to an outdoor pond of koi and/or goldfish?

You ask: How practical this is for the casual pond keeper?
I would say that it depends on the pond keeper. It would certainly give a better idea of bioconversion requirements than reading what the manufacturer claims. to get that better idea, however, one must know the SSA of different filter media and also must know the length to weight figures for their particular fish. These figures change with each specie.
If you want to learn more about SSA and bioconversion requirements, see this link-----http://www.russellwatergardens.com/Styles/Calculations.php
John Russel spent a lot of time putting these pages together and with a couple of things that have been proven differently since he originally wrote them, they are accurate enough for any type of pond.
For length to weight for Koi see-----http://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calcnh3c
I have yet to find a length to weight calculator for Goldfish, but considering that they are both Carp, the same calculator would probably suffice for both.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's an interesting attempt to derive a biofilter sizing from certain variables that are easy to quantify, but the direction of this is for fish in tanks for harvesting which doesn't directly apply to our community.

"Harvesting", in our context, would simply be the equivalent of your fish's maximum potential growth.

You should not be building any bio-filter according to your fish's current size since, if you did do this, then after a year your bio-filtration will be significantly inadequate with the same number of fish simply due to the fact that, as fish grow bigger, they consume more protein per their body weight thus release more ammonia. A 2" fingerling is not going to consume the same volume of protein as a 12" fish within 24 hours even though the feed rate per body weight is higher for a fingerling, as is shown in Mr. Russel's Koi Weight by Length article. Although, this ammonia is determine by protein consumption and not all fish food sources have the same protein, which Mr. Russel is assuming a particular undisclosed protein level that the reader can not determine for their situation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Quite a discussion while I was out of town. :) The water cleared up while I was gone--no foam at all. My pond-sitter made sure she rinsed the skimmer box net every day when she stopped by to check on things. To be honest, the water looks about the clearest it has been since the ice melted last month. The other two koi appear to be okay.

There are no live plants in the water right now as the weather is just starting to warm up. I am hoping the weather cooperates this weekend so I can get outside and work on the pond and the yard.

Another added factor--I just got home from running errands to find two kids from the neighborhood messing with the pond! They knocked 3 of the rocks into the deep part of the pond and were doing SOMEthing with the nets--probably trying to grab the fish out of there. I wonder how long this has been going on. I'm not usually home this time of day when the school buses are dropping kids off...They went white in the face when I came around the corner of the house and caught them.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Quite a discussion while I was out of town. :) The water cleared up while I was gone--no foam at all. My pond-sitter made sure she rinsed the skimmer box net every day when she stopped by to check on things. To be honest, the water looks about the clearest it has been since the ice melted last month. The other two koi appear to be okay.

There are no live plants in the water right now as the weather is just starting to warm up. I am hoping the weather cooperates this weekend so I can get outside and work on the pond and the yard.

Another added factor--I just got home from running errands to find two kids from the neighborhood messing with the pond! They knocked 3 of the rocks into the deep part of the pond and were doing SOMEthing with the nets--probably trying to grab the fish out of there. I wonder how long this has been going on. I'm not usually home this time of day when the school buses are dropping kids off...They went white in the face when I came around the corner of the house and caught them.

That is great news. I am glad that you did not panic and start tossing all sorts of un-needed 'treatments?' into your pond.

As for the kids......well, a pond is known for attracting 'Wildlife'!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Sure does. The kids were probably about 7-8 years old. I thought at first, okay, maybe they were playing with a ball and it wound up in the pond somehow and they're trying to get it out (though my pond is WAY, way off the street). They ran off for a second and left the nets floating in the pond, then came back just as I walked around the corner of the house and caught them.
"Did you guys need help with something??"
"Um, no."
"Did something go in?" (I'm thinking a ball or a toy...)
"Um, yeah, the rocks."
"Please stay out--the pond is not to play with."
"Um, okay, sorry."
Nothing was really damaged other than some trampled plants and some of the big rocks at the bottom of the pond (and the fish being a little rattled by someone poking around at them)...but I sure don't need a kid falling in or getting injured otherwise!! It sure takes pure nerve walking that far onto someone's property and messing around with stuff--some kids just have NO concept of boundaries.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sure does. The kids were probably about 7-8 years old. I thought at first, okay, maybe they were playing with a ball and it wound up in the pond somehow and they're trying to get it out (though my pond is WAY, way off the street). They ran off for a second and left the nets floating in the pond, then came back just as I walked around the corner of the house and caught them.
"Um, no."
"Um, yeah, the rocks."
"Um, okay, sorry."
Nothing was really damaged other than some trampled plants and some of the big rocks at the bottom of the pond (and the fish being a little rattled by someone poking around at them)...but I sure don't need a kid falling in or getting injured otherwise!! It sure takes pure nerve walking that far onto someone's property and messing around with stuff--some kids just have NO concept of boundaries.

Maybe time to meet the parents for a chat. Bring them around to see the pond and let them know the kids are welcome to stop by and see the fish now and again. When you are home. And interested in company. Kids are generally harmless at that age, and it could be a great learning experience for them. Future pond lovers!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
"Um, no."
"Um, yeah, the rocks."
"Um, okay, sorry."

I agree with what Lisak1 advised...meet the parents. Otherwise, one of the kids may think that it is fun to dump soap in your pond. You will really have a dangerous FOAM problem then.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Also as a mom who raised curious boys, I would have been grateful to have been informed of an "attractive hazard" in my neighbor's yard so I could keep my kids safe around your pond and your pond safe from my kids!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
My husband contacted one of his friends with the county sheriff after I told him what happened. Since I don't know exactly who the kids are or where they live, plus the fact that we're within walking distance of the school and now ANY kids could know about this pond, he at least wanted something on record about what happened. I would literally have to follow the kids home (and I am generally not home at the time the kids get out of school and/or get off the bus) or go knock on dozens of doors within a two-block area to figure out where they lived. The county sheriff advised us to put up some kind of fence by the pond (which would be tricky to do) or at least a Keep Out sign by the pond.

Again, nothing was really damaged, but the concern is about anybody falling into the pond. I work with little kids, and anything more than an inch of water is considered a drowning hazard.

Ask a Question