Fox brings a present

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Heard my wife gasp as we walked out the front door to go for a walk. Turned around and looked where she was pointing. And there, between her flowers, was the remains of a deer. I am asking myself what possessed the fox to drag that out of the woods and leave it there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As in the entire carcass @MajorDan ? That would be a feat for a fox...unless it was just pieces or a dressed out carcass left by hunters. Maybe you have a coyote that cached it there for later, or perhaps the injured deer found it as a nice spot to die? Or a neighbor that played an ugly joke. :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I, too, am wondering how you are sure it was a fox who did it? One of our dogs once brought home the rear quarter of a deer. We were pretty confident she found it somewhere already dead and just brought home the trophy. You've never seen a prouder dog! Or sadder when we made her give it up - haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Foxes have been known to get lucky if they come across a recently born fawn. Considering the time of year, perhaps it was injured or taken down by another predator. The calfs of many ungulates are born nearly odorless, it's natures protection against predators, the calf with the least body odour has a better chance of survival in the wild. I can imagine this time of year becomes hard for them as they mature and become detectable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
In answer to everyone’s questions, we have security cameras around the house that caught this fox along with armadillos that visit often during the summer. Here is a photo of the legs. I bagged the parts and put them in our trash in the garage. He came back last night and rooted around in the flower bed. Made a mess for my wife but it was funny. Sort-of, I know I left that deer here somewhere. By the way my backyard is totally fenced so no animals can get in so my fish will be safe from ground attack.

Attachments

• 7BBD396C-BEFC-4CD7-8C5A-D1AA779535FB.jpeg
    7BBD396C-BEFC-4CD7-8C5A-D1AA779535FB.jpeg
    400.7 KB · Views: 215
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Okay, pieces, and not an entire deer! I would be very much afraid of a fox that could drag an entire deer! :confused::eek:o_O

We get armadillos up here, even at our elevation. I often wonder if there has been a study to see how they are physically adapting to the cold.

Ask a Question