addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I still have a lot of frogs, they are in the stream, the deck, the loop, the big, the 1000 gl, the bog water areas. This time of year a lot go away, maybe back into the woods, after mating. Sure did not get a lot of egg drop this year, zero toads mating. Per a study of their eating habits, they spend 30 minutes a day hunting, main stomach content, small fish.

I think they relocated when snakey showed up.

With as many rocks, plants, irregular areas I have, I can not think of a single way to catch a snake. I could shoot it, if I saw it on land far enough away from the ponds. but my 38 would leave a nasty hole in the pond if I missed. We do have a 22 with bird shot, but that to could ruin the pond. And I don't kill anything even spiders, which freak me out, they get caught and carried out of the house.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
zero toads mating. Per a study of their eating habits, they spend 30 minutes a day hunting, main stomach content, small fish.
Funny thing about the toads. Most years I get all kinds of tadpoles (toadpoles?), but this year, not a single one! I've only seen one or two toads around in the garden. A friend, who lives about a 20 minute drive from here, has an earth bottom pond, and a week ago it was black with toadpoles! As for the toads' eating habits, that sounds strange. They only come to water to mate and spawn, and are very poor swimmers. I just can't picture them catching a lot of small fish. Have you been feeding them sardines? ;)
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As for the toads' eating habits, that sounds strange. They only come to water to mate and spawn, and are very poor swimmers. I just can't picture them catching a lot of small fish. Have you been feeding them sardines? ;)
John

No I was referring to the northern water snake that has decided to live here. I saw no toads mating usually our pond is full of them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Short hand typing...............I see the snake a lot for a day or so then gone for 4-5 days. So far frogs doing just fine. The hawks will be unhappy they catch a bunch of them also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I found a juvenile frog on our pool skimmer this afternoon. I carried him to the bog, which is just right for him ! Hubby said there was a baby frog in the pool skimmer yesterday....wonder if it's the same one....he needs to stay in the pond, not the pool.

Ask a Question