addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our pups are safe, they are never outside off leash. Bear chases anything that moves, leaves, flowers, bugs, loves catching black crickets, deer, rabbits etc. Missy has slowed a bit on chasing she knows she can't catch that rabbit. Lil Bear will go crazy when the cicadids start to emerge, I will need to keep him from eating too many, he loves to snack on the black crickets.

We did see, one time, a copper head on the drive way, never again. But they are warning they will be out and about eating the cicadids that are getting ready to emerge. So we will be on high alert when we walk them at night.

They are both excellent hunters, Missy, when younger, caught a bird by its tail, ended up with a tail feather in her mouth.

I am a bit concerned for the fish in that pond, there are not that many, all about 4-5 inches in size. The heron took my large fish out. I have not seen this snake until this year. We do have the rat/black snakes, about 6 feet long. They are good at hiding, occasionally run into them.

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So If you don't mind I will call ours Nessie also! It is all part of nature, I do have a hiding places in the pond, this will be a wait and see what happens. Might even feed the fish this year to have more fry survive.

I do know the 8ish frogs that were hanging out in that pond are all gone. I really don't want all eaten, the hawks love them also..................
I have not seen the toads yet this year, they are the first to dump loads of eggs in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I really don't mind snakes - it's just the surprise factor that gets me. @GBBUDD I'm surprised you didn't get shoved out of the car for that little prank!

My kids had a tank in their bathroom for many years. It held tadpoles, leeches, fish, frogs - anything they could catch. We'd let them keep them for a while, observe them, and then turn them loose. One time they decided it would be home to a garter snake for a few days. They told my MIL that they had a snake in their bathroom (she was FAMOUS for her fear of snakes) and she should stay out. She said "oh SURE you do" - her mistake. My daughter - who was about 9 or 10 at the time - disappeared and came back down the steps with that tiny, harmless snake wrapped around her arm. My MIL took one look at it and FLEW out the back door - never even touched the steps. (I always knew she was a witch - that was my proof!) We still laugh about that today - even though my MIL has been dead for years.

I used that as an opportunity to teach my kids to never let people know your weaknesses - they might just use them against you. Oh, and if grandma comes over, tell her there's a snake in the bathroom! haha!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I picked up a cute little snake with a white ring around its neck..................years ago...............well its defense was to squirt out a really foul smell which took forever to get off my hands.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sunning on the waterfall rock, laying on the creeping jenny. I need to measure the rock to see if I can figure out the length. The waterfall rock is about 32 inches in size, width. From the snakes head to the rock edge out of the picture.
nvr travel_LOREX_main_20210502095826_@3.jpg
IMG_4081.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used that as an opportunity to teach my kids to never let people know your weaknesses - they might just use them against you. Oh, and if grandma comes over, tell her there's a snake in the bathroom! haha!
Agreed I always told mine to fear what they didn't know not what they knew. That what they knew was a challlange no a fear.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We only have copper heads around here and very few though they are numerous else where. The dogs don't go after them as much as the cent of the dogs keeps them away

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Three black bears just tore open my daughter's chicken coop last night. Literally tore the wooden side off the enclosed part where they roost, lay the eggs. She said one big one was eating a chicken. I think they got all the chickens. No more free eggs for us I guess.
I really didn't think black bears were big meat eaters. I was more concerned with the foxes.
Last year an opossum got in there and ate one chicken. I didn't think they would eat them either.
I guess if they're hungry, they'll eat anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If a free meal shows its self a bear will take it. Even road kill they do eat everything and then some

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a ground hog eating some drone brood filled comb we tossed out. The little sucker ate it all and there was a lot. It totally ignored us watching off the deck so involved in the free snack. I figured the opossum would get it, not a ground hog

We had a bear here once, they relocated it years ago. It would be bad news for us if it showed up again. They love bee hives.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@addy1 Your Nessie is much larger than mine are! These two are maybe 12 - 13" long & no bigger around than my index finger. Even my smallest fish is too large for them at the moment. I'm guessing they're eating tadpoles and maybe small skinks or salamanders.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am guessing it is around 4-5 feet............... maybe longer
Guessing it is around 2 inches in width. So my small shubbies are in danger................. I saw a green frog while it was on the rock, now that green frog either got smart and left or was its next meal.

Life span 9-10 years, if female can drop up to 30 snakelets. They don't do eggs, but live birth........ humm 30 snakelets may show up between august and october

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The turd lol, we watched it cross the bog hit the water fall rock and got swept into the big pond. So it is wandering around. Hope it leaves a few frogs. I do like my frogs.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am guessing it is around 4-5 feet............... maybe longer
Guessing it is around 2 inches in width. So my small shubbies are in danger................. I saw a green frog while it was on the rock, now that green frog either got smart and left or was its next meal.

Life span 9-10 years, if female can drop up to 30 snakelets. They don't do eggs, but live birth........ humm 30 snakelets may show up between august and october
Yeah.... I'm thinking that if mine stick around long enough to get that big, they're going to be relocated to a much larger, natural pond!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How in the heck would you even catch one, this sucker is running the moment I get within 10 feet. For now it can stay, wait and see if it starts inhaling the fish. I know it is wiping out some of the frogs, poor things, but the hawks do a good job at that also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a pair of professional snake tongs (we relocate copperheads) but I'd still have to get within 4' of him, so if he's that shy I'm not sure. My little ones just hang out, sunning on the rocks, completely ignoring us when we're around the pond. Hopefully (if they stay) they'll remain as unconcerned about us & I could catch them. Otherwise... it would be rather tricky. I hope your Nessie doesn't cause any problems for your fish.

I did have a copperhead swim into one of my skimmer baskets last year & was able to trap him that way. You can purchase snake traps, but my success with them has been pretty poor, honestly. Same thing for catching the snapping turtle we had a couple years back. The 'real' trap we bought was a big fail, but one day we saw him hiding in one of the biofalls, so we turned off the power to that pump, which causes the water inside to drop - ta da! Trapped turtle.

Sometimes you've got to get really creative when dealing with the local wildlife. LOL!

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used a treble hook with some chicken hanging off of it, dull treble hook. The snapper grabbed it and I was able to pull it up, remove the hook, just on the edge of its mouth. Relocated to a farm pond.

The snake, it can stay unless something weird happens and we can happen to get it. I don't have expensive koi, but don't really want a fishless pond. Per reading they hang out on edges in reeds waiting for small fish to "sleep" The fish do scatter when it goes into the pond.

Ask a Question