Frogs Only Please.....

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I see some toads snuck in. BTW, some tree frogs have toady looks

Can we please squeeze in some salamanders???

They're amphibians too. Don't want to leave any critters out!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No pond yet, so no frogs. But we know they're watching us, waiting..... Some late afternoons when I'm out working on the "pond," I can hear them say, "Are we there yet?". Which translates to, "Hey, people, can't you work any faster?"

Gonna have to listen to some froggie audios to see if I can ID them. Have seen some green frogs around, and the Green Tree Frog is our state amphibian.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh not sure which is worse frogs or lizards this year .Darn lizards scare the be geebbers out of me when they come out all over .All colors blue ,green red ,yellow .stone colored and even a couple that I have seen that turn pink or purple when they get on my pink and purple flower pots .They come out by the pond to see what i am doing ,nosey little guys and gals .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I raided a swamp for tadpoles. Will be adding these into my canal this evening along with some wild water plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wish we had lizards here, always liked them in arizona, some big ones. My yorkie always tried to catch them, no luck.

Can see that canal with the little tadpole wigglers. That will be neat.

Reaction score
WOW i dont get it. here i am catapulting frogs out of my pond and you guys actually want them? ugghh what a racket..
now that we opened the pool nearly no frogs now thank goodness.. i actuaqlly had more in the pool liner water than my pond
tad-poles why ? i scooped them all out (well most)

SE18

David V
Reaction score
WOW i dont get it. here i am catapulting frogs out of my pond and you guys actually want them? ugghh what a racket..
now that we opened the pool nearly no frogs now thank goodness.. i actuaqlly had more in the pool liner water than my pond
tad-poles why ? i scooped them all out (well most)

we're just hoppin' mad over 'em

sorry, I just emptied the taddies into the canal; I so miss the croakin'. Used to put me to sleep along with the train whistle (the real train not too far from Manassas junction)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You gonna show us a picture SE of the tadpoles in the canal? And when the frogs start riding the trains I'd like to see that also,lol!

froggoesfihsing450.gif

MCP

Reaction score
Enjoyed this thread. Seems to be more frogs around my pond this year than in previous years . Here are a couple of mine. :razz:

Attachments

• moon 024.JPG
    moon 024.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 375
Reaction score
Think this might be a bull frog, netted it out early this spring, hibernating under water

DSC02508.jpg

DSC02506.jpg

This guy hides by holding still, saw it once, not since.

DSC02311.jpg

Tree frog

DSC01496.jpg

DSC02070.jpg

most likely tiny toad

DSC01618.jpg

maryland green frog

DSC01285.jpg

DSC01284.jpg
the first one is a bull frog, the last one is a green frog

Both have the ear patches but the green frog has the ridge line running down from behind the eyes to the back

David

Reaction score
No green frogs for my pond, although when I lifted my skimmer cover, I had a toad origgy with 5 members going on. Still, a toad is a frog, just not the water dwelling type

David

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They just become water lovers during that time of year.

Figured the top one was a bullfrog, read they are the only ones that hibernate under water and don't have the back ridge.

I don't have any of those huge bullfrogs, will watch and see if it gets to that large not staying in the pond size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, this is going to be a blast! I've taken a few pics this year, and some are from last year, as the Northern Cricket frogs have not been spotted yet this spring. My pond last year didn't get filled until June, so maybe they are still coming. Heard peepers early in March, then not at all, now just every now and then, but only spotted one. Please help me identify these frogs. I have always called large frogs Bullfrogs, but now learning they are not necessarily so! I have some that have the green face, brown body, pretty big. Just learned the tiny ones with green pattern on the back are called Northern Cricket frogs, and the duo of small frogs I think are maybe spring peepers, but not certain. They are little.
Northern Cricket frogs.
Cool frog Pattern 1.JPGFrog 2.JPG
Spring Peepers?
croaking frog and black frog on hyacinth.JPG
These are about 2-3" long frogs, not sure what they are.
2 inch frog.JPGCloseup of frog on flower ring.JPGTwo frogs in goldfish pond.JPGYoung bullfrog .. again.JPG
And these I thought were bullfrogs, but need help identifying.
Bullfrog ... May 1 2012.JPGWally... the waterfall bullfrog.JPGBullfrog.JPGKing Arthur guarding the bog.JPG
Thanks for starting this thread! Going to be fun to watch. And, those 5 frogs playing "train" were cool.

Ask a Question