j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lots of neat pix of frogs CE. Sorry I can't help ya w/ the frog I.D tho as I'm just a beginner and have only 2 little guys plus our frogs here are prolly different then yours. I like the photo of the last one looking like he's the king of frogs surveying his kingdom!

Reaction score
our frog Budweiser, after he ate a bird...he was so full that I could roll him
around with a stick...

dscf0262mikey_and_me___rev_5-19-03.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess he's got to eat but oh no poor birdie! Does he ever eat your fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Joan, did you see him catch the bird, too? I've seen them on videos on the internet, but always wondered if they really did that! Guess your frog is proof. I like his name .... :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good idea Joann! He can feast on the wild fish and not your pretty ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yesterday I counted 9 frogs on the pennywort. I don't know if they are all the same species, or a variety, but at least some of them at the California Red-Legged Frog. Not easy to see in the pics.

I hope they're not looking for their babies. I think all the tadpoles became a goldfish gourmet meal.

Attachments

• DSC01563.JPG
    DSC01563.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC01564.JPG
    DSC01564.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 389

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'd almost bet money on pictures 4, 5, 7, 8, 10 and 11 being Bullfrogs. Pictures 6 and 9 could be either Green frogs or unusually marked Bullfrogs. It's hard to tell if the ridge around the eye ends there or continues on along the back.
John
By the way, if you have toads spawning in your pond, make sure they have a way to get out once they're done. Unlike frogs, toads don't have the leg strength to kick themselves up out of the water, and will drown unless they can crawl out at a shallow beach or a sloped board.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks very much John. I wasn't sure about the bullfrogs, but around here, anything larger than little is called a bullfrog. LOL I've seen a couple of leopard frogs, and the 2 you were not sure of, had the look of the bullfrog in the head, but spotted on the body, so I'm sure sure.
And, in the goldfish pond, the toads have places all over the place to climb up on. In the koi pond, the outside edge is a steep rock, but the edge of those rocks could be climbed up on. In both ponds, if they get into the bog (or were hatched in the bog), they can easily walk out, as I have the pea gravel piled up on the edges at least part of the way around. I ahve seen no toad babies, though. Still see a few tadpoles, but no babies with legs. I looked pretty hard in the bog today, too. :-(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
A snake got into the pond and decided to eat one of my frogs. I relocated the snake, mid-meal. Hope he doesn't find his way back to the pond. Should have moved him when he first went into the pond.

Attachments

• DSC01567.JPG
    DSC01567.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC01570.JPG
    DSC01570.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 396
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Pretty snake, but hard on frogs.
Frogs are back in my ponds, and I love taking pics of them, although they are usually the same kind.
This one has an unusual pattern, but I think it's a bullfrog, just marked up prettier than most.
Pretty frog on lilies.JPG
These 3 were lurking in and amongst the lily pads, thought they looked like 3 alligators. :)
Three frogs.JPG
Zoomed in and cropped this pic, pretty eye design!
Fish eye .JPG

Reaction score
Said Good Bye to our female, possible Green Frog today. Now, let me preface thsi by saying, our pond is a 24' round, above ground pool converted to a pond. This is our 4th season and we currently have a Bull Frog, Goldfish, a few Koi and recently a Female possible Green Frog. The poor thing floated in a floating planter for 3 days, never moving. The Bull Frog kept on Hrumming throughout the night and into the morning. I assume Bull Frogs and Green Frogs co-exist in natural ponds, but with this being an above ground pool, there were no places for her to hide and I would assume the Bull Frog may make dinner of her if she fully took advantage of the pond. I have lots of floating planters, but she did not move until today. She moved to another planter and then onto a float and was straddling 2 plants. She seemed very tame and allowed me to take some pics of her and even allowed me to move the plant onto the side rail. I told her that I understood that she had to move on but to not ba a stranger and visit us from time to time. Silly, I know and I wish she would stay, but the Bull Frog apparently "rules the roost." He occasionally sits in the old skimmer port watching the goings on in the pond. I am sure he partakes of the GF when hungry, but since there are a lot, maybe he keeps the population down to a few hundred! LOL I don't remember how to post pics, but when I find out, I will certainly do so.

Shoestring Ponder,
CyndiMO

Ask a Question