j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha when I'm out walking I see squished ones on the road and I think, oh if only I had been here to rescue you, you poor little thing cuz I would have taken you home to live a safer life. Hi I am Janice and I love frogs to death.............well no wait I didn't kill them, they were already flat like that when I found them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
When I got home from camping yesterday, I could not believe the number of bullfrogs I saw in the ponds. Probably were over 20 if I had been able to count each and every one of them. What shocked me, though, was I saw something BIG, on top of the skimmer in goldfish pond (lots of rain, top of skimmer was almost under water), dark gray almost black, and 3 small bullfrogs in front of it. Turns out it was a HUGE and I mean HUMONGOUS bullfrog, with one of the smaller ones' leg in his mouth! I told him to "let him go!", and kept walking around the pond, not fast, just wanted him to see me, and hopefully change his mind. But the closer I got, the other frogs jumped in, and he still had hold of the frog. I did not know they were cannibals! He jumped in, towing that smaller frog, and it was really hard for him to go to the bottom of the pond, dragging that little guy with him. I waited, hoping he would let him and he would surface, but if he did release the frog, I didn't see it come up. I know they eat birds and fish and so forth, and it's not a big deal he maybe ate that frog, but it shocked me nonetheless!!! I could have taken pics of it, too, but didn't think of it. Later, I'm certain that same big frog was on the mulch area between the two ponds. I opened the sliding glass door (it was raining at the time) to get a better look at him, and he jumped probably 5' in one leap to the pond.
Here is a pic later of 6 frogs. See if you can see all of them. :)
6 frogs.JPG

And, later yesterday evening, this little tree frog must have jumped onto my leg, then onto the floor when I came inside. I caught him (after taking the pic of course LOL) and put him back outside. Temps yesterday were low 70's and lots of drizzly rain all day long, so I guess that was ideal weather for frogs.
tree frog.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thought I had posted the above last night .... but it was still sitting here waiting to be sent.
Hi, my name is Patti, and I love frogs!!!! :) I would have saved that frog, too, Lisa. See, I saved that little tree frog that came into my house on Monday, but first had to get my camera and take a pic. I'm not happy with my new camera. It does NOT do justice to macro pics. But, you get the idea.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was able to save a frog from certain death Sunday night. Snatched Calvin before he could go into full hunter mode and threw him inside until Kermit had had a chance to hop along. Calvin was understandably peeved that night. Wouldn't look at me and kept his back to me the rest of the evening.

Reaction score
When I got home from camping yesterday, I could not believe the number of bullfrogs I saw in the ponds. Probably were over 20 if I had been able to count each and every one of them. What shocked me, though, was I saw something BIG, on top of the skimmer in goldfish pond (lots of rain, top of skimmer was almost under water), dark gray almost black, and 3 small bullfrogs in front of it. Turns out it was a HUGE and I mean HUMONGOUS bullfrog, with one of the smaller ones' leg in his mouth! I told him to "let him go!", and kept walking around the pond, not fast, just wanted him to see me, and hopefully change his mind. But the closer I got, the other frogs jumped in, and he still had hold of the frog. I did not know they were cannibals! He jumped in, towing that smaller frog, and it was really hard for him to go to the bottom of the pond, dragging that little guy with him. I waited, hoping he would let him and he would surface, but if he did release the frog, I didn't see it come up. I know they eat birds and fish and so forth, and it's not a big deal he maybe ate that frog, but it shocked me nonetheless!!! I could have taken pics of it, too, but didn't think of it. Later, I'm certain that same big frog was on the mulch area between the two ponds. I opened the sliding glass door (it was raining at the time) to get a better look at him, and he jumped probably 5' in one leap to the pond.
Here is a pic later of 6 frogs. See if you can see all of them. :)
View attachment 76393
And, later yesterday evening, this little tree frog must have jumped onto my leg, then onto the floor when I came inside. I caught him (after taking the pic of course LOL) and put him back outside. Temps yesterday were low 70's and lots of drizzly rain all day long, so I guess that was ideal weather for frogs.
View attachment 76394
I keep a close eye on my rosy minnows and as soon as they start disappearing the big frogs are moving to the pond and the end of my road!!! Man those 2 are huge in your pic! I can only find 5.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see six, I think. Well we now need to start a frog addiction and a pond addiction group! I saw some bull frogs a year or so ago now just see green frogs, no clue why.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Nope, JW, none are in the mouth of another one. In fact, I had to look for a long time to find #6 myself. I'll see if I can zoom/crop the pic to show each of the harder ones to find. Some are super easy, I think I know which ones are the last two.
OK, here is the pic again, and I wish I was good as you guys and could put some pointers on the pic!
6 frogs.JPG

Now, if you see the metal stake with the glass cattail in the foreground, look just above the little black "flower" towards the bottom of that stake, and the 5th frog is in the water.
Just above the metal flower.JPG

Then, the 6th frog is straight above the dragonfly on that same metal stake, on top of the tan flat rock, left side.
6 frogs - Copy.JPG

And, so none of you feel bad, I had no idea how many frogs were in the pic until I zoomed in on the pic on my camera and panned left and right and up and down. Probably are more in there, but these were the most obvious. I swear there were at least 15 in the goldfish pond when I got home on Monday. I guess the 73 degrees and rainy drizzly weather suited them just fine!

Ask a Question