Frogs Only Please.....

Reaction score
The little frog is hiding from the big guy!

I watched this big guy jump off the bank and snag a bug. You can still see some stuff hanging out of its mouth.View attachment 75918
I have been seeing more hunting this week with my frogs, they usually just sit there. Maybe they are eating more to get ready for winter. I did get to see one jump from the other side of the pond, thru the water and hop up the side to catch a small fly. Nice to see

Reaction score
I was tossing in grasshoppers again this afternoon, probably the reason I saw so many at one time in the goldfish pond. Only 3 are residents of the koi pond this year. Total opposite of how it was last year. Maybe the koi are bigger now and go after the bullfrogs? Not sure!
When I toss in grasshoppers, it's funny how a bullfrog will swim underwater from the other side to come up next to the bug. NEVER do they come up and get the bug. I think their eyes are closed, and they just guess at the distance. It's hilarious! If they jump, they almost always get the bug, but not good at sneaking up underwater. LOL
Oh no poor hopper, I saved 2 today while widening my stream. Oh I hope I'm almost done making changes! I said no more until next year but I couldn't stand looking at the rough draft stream and had to groom it. I went from a 2' to a 3.5' stream. So next spring I will put in a couple stepping rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
ALWAYS fun making changes to our streams and ponds. I had originally made my stream sloped on the edges. This year I cut a ledge on the edge so round rocks could sit there, and make it look more natural. Wish I had done that with my ponds. Next pond ..... ;-)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
10713008_650984211685377_7834640561739110834_n.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They are adorable Lisa. I am afraid Calvin has scared off all of our frogs. I don't hear plopping in the morning anymore. I am going to try and build a little shallow area for them next spring and hope they come back.

Reaction score
Yes, there favorite places are snuggled in plants. Mine must be brave as they often sun bath on the rocks that are still in the pond area. But then again my cats don't mess with the pond, I think they are scared of it. I bet your frog got caught in the pump while he was finding an underwater hang out. I notice my frogs go to the depths and try to wedge in between the rocks, fun to watch. Now I wish I would have left more hiding places between rocks for little fish and frogs. Maybe you should make some frog hides underwater? I think you'll be fine once you have more lily pads and surface plants!! Mine are also scarce in the mornings.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I don't have a shallow area for the frogs to easily get in and out of the water. I usually get up around 530-6 and when I would go outside in the morning I would hear at least 5 plops of the frogs hitting the water to hide but for the last few weeks, nothing every morning and I have had to shoo Calvin away from hunting 2, so who knows what he has snagged when I wasn't outside on frog patrol. By next summer I will have 4 potted lilies so that should give them some hiding room. I hope they come back, they are so cute.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is friday, it is always friday here! I was mucking the bog pulling dead plants etc, bunches of frogs jumped into the pond, from 1.5 inches to 3-4 inches in size. Too messy, dirty,to takes photos.

Is it Friday yet??
And I hope so.

Reaction score
I brought home a frog from a large parking lot tonight! It has rained hard this evening and I almost stepped on him! I couldn't take the risk of him getting squished by a car so I adopted him.

I feel I need to belong to special group for frog addictions!

Hi, my name is Lisa and I like frogs.

Ask a Question