Frogs surviving the winter?

Reaction score
2 summers ago I put 4 tadpoles in my pond and in not time they were frogs. The following spring I had 4 frog corpses laying at the bottom rotting up the water. So this past year i decided against tadpoles. I'd like to try again this season, but not if this will keep happening year after year. I would have thought the frogs would use their natural instincts and do what they need to survive, even if it means leaving the pond. But I guess I was wrong. Anyone else have this happen before? The frogs are just too fast to try and catch and put in a tank for the winter.

PS3

Reaction score
frogs dig and hide under ground or in warm places in the winter.
if u do get tadpoles again this spring make sure in the fall u get them go
near a lake or a wooded area

Reaction score
My froggies made it through a very harsh winter, one of the worst in 100 years (as far as snowfall).

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
My Cascadia frogs haven't come out of winter hiding yet. Cascadia frogs are native of the northwest region, and I'm sure there are many other varieties here as well. Last year I brought in hundreds of tad poles that eventually matured and moved on. Obviously they were tree frogs. Tree frogs will leave the pond or body of water and wander looking for a food source. They hide in bushes, trees, and a most any place that will provide them safety. The other types of frogs, like bull frogs in a variety of sizes will primarily stay in or really close their water source. It could be a stream, swamp, pond, or lake. My Cascadia's stayed quite close to my pond in the back yard until they went into hibernation. They did wander the yard, but always seem to come back to the pond.

Happy ponding,

Reaction score
I think it depends on the type of frog. Some frogs leave the water and dig into the mud and other frogs go deep in the water durring winter.

Reaction score
I thought mine died as well. That was until I moved some large rocks to make some changes to the pond. One jumped from under the rock into the pond and gave me a good scare. Wasn't expecting it. I added a dozen more tadpoles 2 weeks ago hoping a few stick around.

Reaction score
I found my frog at the bottom of our pond when I was vacuuming it out last weekend. At first I thought he was dead. Good thing I didn't suck him up as we found him the next day sunning himself on a fake lilly pad my wife threw in for him "just in case"!
He survived the winter. We had about 6" of ice on our pond (except for the hole from the fountain) most of the winter.

Todd

Ask a Question