Frogs / toads

Reaction score
Do frogs have the same tolerances to ph and other water parameters as fish?
I spotted one the other day digging a hole in our rockery. He literally buried himself under the soil lol. Frogs make me laugh, unfortunately we have had no frog spawn this year. But when it rains they all come out. My cat plays with them, but she did kill one a few months back so i'm keeping my eye on her.
I guess my main question is are frogs beneficial or a hindrance to a fish pond. I here they carry disease and can kill your fish?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do know that tadpoles are an indicator of a healthy environment -- they are sensitive to so many toxins & changes, etc., in the water.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Toad tadpoles can be slightly toxic, or at least there seem to be some reports that indicate that they can be. Over abundance can put additional loads on filtration systems but I have never heard of anyone that has had problems that could be directly linked back to frogs or tadpoles in a pond. I quess there could always be a first....

Ask a Question