Garden Pond problems

Reaction score
I am a new member and new to the maintenance of ponds. My husband and I live in Mexico and own a small hotel, Hotel Los Arcos de Sonora in Banamichi, Sonora. This summer we began putting in water lilies and later fish but continue to have problems with algae. We don't have a pump to filter the water and think this is a major problem. Two days ago the fish started dying after several months in the pond. From what I have read, the problem could be many things, not enough oxygen, parasites, etc. Also living in the pond of some sort of black bugs that have wing like fins and swim around. Have no idea where they came from.

I have been using barley packets, barley juice and algae fix but still have an algae problem. Can anyone help.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You need a filter all those fixes are just there to get you money .A good aerator will help also .How deep and how big and how many fish will help us understand your needs WELCOME I always do that address the problem first .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You need a test kit to see how your water is doing. What kind of fish.........koi, goldfish or ? We need more info. What are the symptoms the fish are showing etc.
welcome48.gif
sonora52

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
WELCOME to the GPF!!

Yes, more information about your pond would be helpful: how BIG & how DEEP is it; is it natural dirt or does it have a liner; how many & what kind of fish; how hot does it get there and how is your pond situated [full sun, some shade, etc.]? What is your water source?

There are SO many things that can cause problems with a pond -- and most of those problems can be directly related to each other. So there's no fast answer, and you have to look at the whole picture. That's why we ask all the questions. If you can get a pond test kit and check water quality (pH, ammonia, etc.), that would be helpful. Maybe even a floating thermometer to check water temps since you're in a hot part of the world.

I'm new to ponds, too [less than a year] and have learned so much just being a member here! Lots of smart and experienced members here and very willing to help & share.

Best of luck -- I know you must feel frustrated and helpless!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad you joined, we will all try to help you out with your problems.

Ask a Question