sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
One reason I don't do Christmas lights or decorations ;)What a nightmare I feel for you texmaster

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen 3 houses here also and those batteries scare me and they are not cheap either .I wondered also about the smell from the batteries .

We installed solar, no batteries at all, the meter runs backwards if we don't use what is generating then get a rebate from the power company every year for what we feed back into the grid. When they installed it with the pond running ,ac running, normal house running, the meter was flying backwards. We have a full sun hit on our house.

Cost us nothing to install. Nothing to maintain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
One reason I don't do Christmas lights or decorations ;)What a nightmare I feel for you texmaster

I got it working. It was a bad shunt in the line. If you ever need to repair this crap get the device that looks like a gun to repair lights.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The house out on 58 had solar on there roof and they needed a new roof and cost them 5 thousand dollars to remove the panels to replace the roof and then put them back up .Our utility company doesn't pay you back they just give discounts to your neighbors .Not fair

Reaction score
I have seen 3 houses here also and those batteries scare me and they are not cheap either .I wondered also about the smell from the batteries .The room had funny smell to it and wondered if it could be toxic .I know it gave me a headache and the odor stayed with me ,similar to when you use to much bleach and the odor stays around a long time .My attic has 6 feet of blown in insulation but the downside is you have to go up there with a rake to fluff it up.I have seen solar here and wind .I just had the house built to be more energy efficient as I could .Heat pump uses the most energy in my house .I look all the time at my network I set up with my utility company and can see what each is using .At least that gives me an idea if something is not working right
Yes the batteries give off gas and should be vented to the outside. EVERYONE wants to save money and I would jump on the solar band wagon with both feet. The problem is that it just isn't practical. We shouldn't have to subsidize something that we know we can't use. I for one am not wiling to pay $200 a month for electricity just because it is green.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The house out on 58 had solar on there roof and they needed a new roof and cost them 5 thousand dollars to remove the panels to replace the roof and then put them back up .Our utility company doesn't pay you back they just give discounts to your neighbors .Not fair
We have in the contract $500 to remove panels for roof work. We won't need a new during our ownership.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like the solar trees they have in NC and great you thought about that addy because they had there's up for over 15 yeas and decided not to put them back up because roof shingles would not have any warranty .

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Discussion has come up about our local recycling program. We used to have to separate plastic and glass, paper and metals. Recently it's gone 'single stream', meaning you just through everything into one bin and they do the sorting. The participation has gone way up since there's not three bins and constant sorting of trash. However, they said aprox. 30% is still sent to the landfill due to 'food contamination' mostly. They did tell us in the beginning that rinsing wouldn't be necessary, which makes sense because the water used for cleaning the trash is more valuable than the trash. Still thirty is better than the probable 60-70% in the past.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When I lived in NJ we had recycle bins and were told to rinse all cans and bottles and to bundle color papers from black and white paper and that was 12 years ago .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Our recycling program is single bin, but the standing instruction is not to flatten cans, plastic bottles, or cardboard containers, which seemed odd because not crushing them meant the bin filled up pretty quickly.
Then I read an article in the local press praising the recycling scheme for saving so many million cubic metres of landfill, and suddenly it was obvious. Success is measured not by weight, but by volume.

I still crush mine flat - otherwise the bin overflows.

Ask a Question