Getting closer....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I agree with you, Addy. Have never lived in a house that someone else decided what could or could not be done in my yard. Always lived in the country since I was married. Now have 6 acres, no need to get any permit to do anything here. Can build what I want when I want and don't have to worry about it being up to code or a licensed electrician, etc. IF I sell the house, however, then everything has to be up to code, but I can get anyone to do the work, if they know how to do it properly. I like that!
Sissy, about the cows, I have to tell a funny story! Rode my Fox Trotter tonight, and ponied my Paint mare. Both are a little goofy and skittish as this was only 2nd time out for them this spring. Both did very well, so I rode them 2 miles to the "killer cows'" pasture. LOL Picture this! Hereford cows (brown cows, white faces), grazing on the far side of about a 5 acre pasture. My horses spot them. We are on a dirt tractor road, so no traffic, but fences on both sides after small ditches. Cows are VERY curious, and there were 3 little calves, so those big girls decided to come scope out my horses! My horses saw them come trotting up (not running, mind you, just trotting, stop, trot again speed), and my horses tried to get the flock out of there FAST!!! I was ready for that, had the ponied mare (she is running along with a halter and lead rope) rope loose so I could control and release if necessary and I was in danger of getting wrapped up. Paint started running backwards, Fox Trotter was going sideways, I kept control and just let them move their feet, but pulled them around, facing the killers. Cows kept coming, horses kept thinking they had to leave. Made them stay put, we were about 50' away. Once the horses figured out cows were not advancing anymore, they were both blowing or snorting like crazy. I was laughing. Then started talking to the cows and babies, told the girls the cows would not hurt them, it was ok. Finally was able to convince them to take 2 steps forward towards the killers, who didn't move, just stood there. We moved forward couple of steps at a time until we were about 20' away, and I figured that was good enough for today. Will have to visit those killers more often until we can go down that road next to their pasture without them feeling the need to leave. Was a fun lesson, and I won, so that makes it that much more rewarding. LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lamo! killer cows! I can just see that. Good thing you had good control of your horses. I have been tossed, kicked, bit but sill love horses, just don't have any. We could with our land, but no not now.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
CE that would be a funny thing to see. Horses stalked by killer cows! LOL :LOL: :LOL: How is your water looking?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Water still murky. Warmer temps last few days, in the 70's, but going down to 38 this weekend, so I'm not hoping for anything great yet. Next week, hoping the warmer 60-70's for highs will stay put, THEN I will start thinking about what else could be done.
And, once, same two horses, riding one ponying the other, riding with 2 other ladies, pony in pasture with cows, pony comes running to see "company", same reaction, horses wanting to flee. Since this is a natural instinct for a horse, I just did my best to stay in the seat, not get tangled in the ropes, then sat there and let them think things through once the pony got to the fence. I don't get mad at horses doing what their brain tells them to do, just try to alter their thinking once they get to the point they can THINK again, that is.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hmmm wonder if that means JW is a hiding future nudist :redface: :razz: :LOL: .I know the guy who bought all the lots at auction here tried to tell me what I can and can't do ,guess who won .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good gosh sissy.................ha ha I never went around nude outside anywhere even in the 60's and I sure wouldn't want to now..............talk about scaring the horses :LOL:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well was wondering about that comment we may have to send that drone hummingbird your way .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'll shoot anything down made by the gov't that comes snooping around my property. Geez now I'll prolly have every federal agent on my doorstep after that comment!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
here they come well one does not have enough agents after they had to fire alot of them .But the rest are checking you out red flags on your name and address .Hope you have enough room for them all .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here's my Fox Trotter mare, Leroy, (ok, I know, stupid man name for a mare ... long story ...) and the "killer cows". Went to see them again tonight, they were much more relaxed, just meandered up to the fence near us, then we went past them, which was a plus, and came back when I took this pic. They were about 40' from us in this pic, but then we rode past them, too. Sorry, pic is really small, took it with my cell phone.
Leroy and cows.jpg
JW, I didn't know you had nudist parties in your neighborhood! What did I miss? LOL I had to read back to see how that came up .... :twisted: :LOL: :twisted:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I didn't know I did either till sissy informed me on it,lol!

Leroy still looks like he's keeping a good eye on those killer cows cuz his head is aimed right towards them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Leroy is a girl, JW. Poor thing, named a man's name, and a stupid man's name at that! An ex boyfriend wanted me to buy a gelding (boy) when I was looking at horses. He wanted to name it Leroy, like the "SAve a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" song, that says, "Riding through town on my ole stud Leroy". So, when I found this mare, he was all disappointed that he could not call it Leroy. I told him, "You have a parakeet that lays eggs and her name is Larry, what difference does it make that I have a mare that is called Leroy?" So, it stuck. It's kind of a funny name, really. Yes, she was definitely watching the cows. Now she's pointing home, and she wanted get home, but I made her stop and look at the cows first. She did very well. I fear my paint mare would not do as well, much more jumping and dancing around, but we will find out!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Too funny CE and I'm sure she doesn't mind one bit! Parakeet named Larry, ha ha! I had a male keet named Heidi and he didn't mind........he thought he was a pretty bird and that's all he ever said!

If ya take your paint mare over near those killer cows make sure you get all padded up real good!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yeppers, the Paint is the one that was snorting and blowing, like a deer when they are on red alert! She will freak, but I've learned how to keep control over her. She does what the horse whisperers call "spook in place". She dances and gets all tensed up, but stays in the same place. I usually start laughing before she gets calmed down because of all the energy and movement and going nowhere. LOL It's a 4 mile ride to get there and back, so takes a little over an hour, by the time we visit with the cows and calves. Those baby Herefords are so adorable! If they would stay little I would buy one! The cows were huge, must be really well bred cows.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Too bad you can't have somebody take a video of the horse having fits over the cows. Maybe if you play some music and sing like the video of the guys playing their instruments for those cows.

Ask a Question