getting my fish drunk...... seriously, watch.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Actually your wrong. Koi can safely live in 10 to 12ppt. They can live in upto 16ppt. Google it, it is true.
And you are also wrong about the ff. There is not just 1 way to get docs out. Your mind is focused on ff because you have not tried it. Please stay off my page, I will provide pictures and instructions on how to do it, you're kinda stepping on my toes.
We will get into the plants later too, but one step at a time.

Oh no, think Mario just turned into a "googlehead".

Yes, koi can safely live in 10~16ppt as long as the transition is correct... I just pointed that out!!

I never suggested there was just 1 way to remove DOCs out of the water.

I mentioned FF due to issues you are having with getting a FF to function in a freshwater pond.

I look forward to what you have to share.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mucky acording to a poisonous plant list Marijuana is deadly to fish so as a member of that genus it stands to reason it shouldnt be used in any form near the pond .
I've linked you to a list of lants deadly to our fish if you look up marijuana then to the right of it it will say that all parts of the plant are deadly toxic to your fish , so to be on the safe side I wouldnt use hemp oil at all :-

http://www.cnykoi.com/articles/plantpoisonous.asp

There is also a list of trees etc that are just as toxic to your fish :-

http://www.koi-pond-guide.com/toxic-plants.html

Dave

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Mucky acording to a poisonous plant list Marijuana is deadly to fish so as a member of that genus it stands to reason it shouldnt be used in any form near the pond .
I've linked you to a list of lants deadly to our fish if you look up marijuana then to the right of it it will say that all parts of the plant are deadly toxic to your fish , so to be on the safe side I wouldnt use hemp oil at all :-

Dave

Dave, I am pretty sure Randy is joking, but you provide very excellent info just in case someone takes it literally. Good stuff.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
To better clarify this issue, Cyprinus Carpio (koi) is a stenohaline organism, which means the fish can survive a wide range of salinity only from freshwater (0.01~0.49% salinity) to brackish (0.5~3.5% salinity) as long as the progression is slow. To instantly jump the salinity from ~0.10% to 1.06% is much like the result of whenever any water chemistry parameters is done too rapidly.
Yes, koi can safely live in 10~16ppt as long as the transition is correct... I just pointed that out!!

Also, just in case someone misinterprets this text. This particularly applies to koi in the wild !!

There was actually a science article written about how pond ornamental koi can be safely described as a different sub-species than Cyprinus Carpio due to the significant centuries of breeding, for particular skin color and skin pattern mutations, in pristine quality freshwaters.

I would never recommend nor even suggest anyone in this hobby to raise their salinity above 0.25% unless it is done for transportation purpose or parasiticide purposes. Generally, salinity increase should only be done to enhance particular medications or only to very temporarily help the fish's osmoregulatory system. For nitrite toxicity prevention purposes, tremendously safer for the pond's ecosystem, fish, and plants to use a chloride product that does not contain sodium, such as calcium chloride.

Reaction score

Dave
Thanks so much for this list! I was wondering what else I could put in my pond that was on the small side and one I was going to try is on this list!!! I will be printing this out and putting in my pond binder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks so much for this list! I was wondering what else I could put in my pond that was on the small side and one I was going to try is on this list!!! I will be printing this out and putting in my pond binder.

Good Idea Lisa we are the same as you, though we dont have plants out yet

Dave

Reaction score
Also, just in case someone misinterprets this text. This particularly applies to koi in the wild !!

There was actually a science article written about how pond ornamental koi can be safely described as a different sub-species than Cyprinus Carpio due to the significant centuries of breeding, for particular skin color and skin pattern mutations, in pristine quality freshwaters.

I would never recommend nor even suggest anyone in this hobby to raise their salinity above 0.25% unless it is done for transportation purpose or parasiticide purposes. Generally, salinity increase should only be done to enhance particular medications or only to very temporarily help the fish's osmoregulatory system. For nitrite toxicity prevention purposes, tremendously safer for the pond's ecosystem, fish, and plants to use a chloride product that does not contain sodium, such as calcium chloride.
You quote yourself.
So if I use calcium choride, that would be safer than sodium? I'll save that for my memory file.
I never said I'm using salt to control nitrites in any of these posts, did i?
Please show some pictures of your set up, your koi, your ff in working condition, or carbon dosing. I want to understand the point your coming from, not behind a keyboard.
I'm sure there is some reason you will post why not, but please continue to refrain from posting or quoting yourself.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You quote yourself.
1) So if I use calcium choride, that would be safer than sodium? I'll save that for my memory file.
2) I never said I'm using salt to control nitrites in any of these posts, did i?
Please show some pictures of your set up, your koi, your ff in working condition, or carbon dosing. I want to understand the point your coming from, not behind a keyboard.
I'm sure there is some reason you will post why not, but 3) please continue to refrain from posting or quoting yourself.

1) So if I use calcium choride, that would be safer than sodium? I'll save that for my memory file.

Yep, good stuff and is safer than sodium when it comes to addressing nitrite toxicity. To learn more, then google "aquaculture chloride nitrite ratio". Fun learning stuff when the literature comes from actual aquacultural experts.

2)

Nor did I suggest in any manner you were using salt to control nitrite toxicity, which is why it was written in response toward my own post for clarification due to a common misconception about salt (which I am not saying you hold this misconception).

Your attempt to do "Frankenstein" experiments on defenseless fish is not admirable in order to test a salinity tolerance theory (or for whatever purpose it is being done for), but, nonetheless, the results will be interesting to read.

3) please continue to refrain from posting or quoting yourself.

Fortunately, since this is a public conversation and it has remained civil even though your provocateur statements are trying to drive the conversation otherwise, the decision of whom is allowed to post on any forum thread is not up to you.

Others desired clarification on the understanding of the method and I explained it, which essentially supports you to one degree or another.

I will leave as an observer for the remainder of the conversation until clarification is desired from others on something of substance so in an effort this thread will remain on topic.

I look forward to what you have to share so to educate us on "carbon dosing to reduce algae" from this teachable moment.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Yep, good stuff and is safer than sodium when it comes to addressing nitrite toxicity. To learn more, then google "aquaculture chloride nitrite ratio". Fun learning stuff when the literature comes from actual aquacultural experts.

2)

Nor did I suggest in any manner you were using salt to control nitrite toxicity, which is why it was written in response toward my own post for clarification due to a common misconception about salt (which I am not saying you hold this misconception).

Your attempt to do "Frankenstein" experiments on defenseless fish is not admirable in order to test a salinity tolerance theory (or for whatever purpose it is being done for), but, nonetheless, the results will be interesting to read.

3) please continue to refrain from posting or quoting yourself.

Fortunately, since this is a public conversation and it has remained civil even though your provocateur statements are trying to drive the conversation otherwise, the decision of whom is allowed to post on any forum thread is not up to you.

Others desired clarification on the understanding of the method and I explained it, which essentially supports you to one degree or another.

I will leave as an observer for the remainder of the conversation until clarification is desired from others on something of substance so in an effort this thread will remain on topic.

I look forward to what you have to share so to educate us on "carbon dosing to reduce algae" from this teachable moment.
20141008_213706.jpg

Yes, I understand what calcium chloride is and have not found that Google link for it to be safer than salt because it's for calcification. So what should my cal be at before I precipitate the alk out of my water and my pumps turn white?
Salts cheaper
I do remember you saying I was linked to green peace some time ago because I cared about my fish. All you do is switch your answer back and forth. You also stated you don't have to do a w/c because in a perfect setup, one you would make, the biosystem takes care of its self.
If you have an idea or drawing of some sort, please join in. I would love to see your set up and trials. No one has only success, if you been in the hobby there are fails.
Yes this is a public fourm, they can see my pond and my creations. All my fish are alive and the algae is gone, my failed attempts at the ff, but hey There's a whole lot more fails than success at the ff, and yours running would be helpful. Maybe I just need to do something simple to get it to work. At least someone will see this as tangible, not some scientific quote w/o personal pictures. Link a picture of your perfect setup and I'll leave you be.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
View attachment 76280
1) Yes, I understand what calcium chloride is and have not found that Google link for it to be safer than salt because it's for calcification. So what should my cal be at before I precipitate the alk out of my water and my pumps turn white?
2) Salts cheaper
I do remember you saying I was linked to green peace some time ago because I cared about my fish. All you do is switch your answer back and forth. 3) You also stated you don't have to do a w/c because in a perfect setup, one you would make, the biosystem takes care of its self.

If you have an idea or drawing of some sort, please join in. I would love to see your set up and trials. No one has only success, if you been in the hobby there are fails.
Yes this is a public fourm, they can see my pond and my creations. All my fish are alive and the algae is gone, my failed attempts at the ff, but hey There's a whole lot more fails than success at the ff, and yours running would be helpful. 4) Maybe I just need to do something simple to get it to work. At least someone will see this as tangible, not some scientific quote w/o personal pictures. Link a picture of your perfect setup and I'll leave you be.

1) Yes, I understand what calcium chloride is and have not found that Google link for it to be safer than salt because it's for calcification. So what should my cal be at before I precipitate the alk out of my water and my pumps turn white?

In freshwater systems, sodium, that is the Na part of salts used to increase specific gravity (i.e., salinity), is only good for impacting the fish's osmoregulatory system, parasiticide, improving particular medications, makes particular freshwater aquatic medications toxic to fish, and is detrimental to most freshwater plants.

Calcium carbonate or calcium oxide precipitation is unavoidable in alkaline waters due to carbonate (CO32-) accumulation in alkaline waters, as is visually depicted with the freshwater carbonate speciation bjerrum plot.

In our context of freshwater pond systems, calcium chloride is specifically used to act as a buffer to control carbonate (CO32-) presence (due to calcium carbonate precipitation), to give plants calcium and chloride, and the chloride helps defend fish against nitrite toxicity. To learn more about how this product is used in the freshwater watergardening pond hobby context, then read the thread, Calcium chloride to lower pH.

For our context, the calcium concentration should never go above 120~150ppm and 40~70 ppm is recommended for horticultural aquaculture optimal vegatable/fruit growth, dependent upon the water's nutrient analysis. However, generally, 40~70ppm is the best mark for our context.

If the calcium concentration goes too high above the nutrient balance, then there is more of a risk of phosphate precipitation (that is making nutrients insoluble to plants) and interference of potassium intake of plants since they use the same ion transfer pumps within the roots. If the nutrient analysis is correct, then the nutrient balance can be quite high thus allowing higher calcium concentrations, which is not common and not desired for this freshwater watergardening pond hobby context.

1 pound per 1,000 gallons once a year, sometimes two doses might be needed for new ponds, is more than enough for ponds in this freshwater watergardening hobby unless the desire is to convert it into an aqua-ponic garden system. Be sure to read the aforementioned thread for proper dosing instructions.

2)
Salts cheaper

If the context is to increase salinity, then yes sodium chloride, or some variant, is cheaper.

Aquarium salts sold at stores or websites is the most expensive route since you are paying for more than just salt within these products.

BRS price for calcium chloride is incredibly expensive for such a simple product.

$0.34 per ounce for BRS Bulk Calcium Chloride. At the Chemistry Store (which is also a more pure grade than the BRS product), $0.11 per ounce for Calcium Chloride. During the Winter, this product is sold at hardware stores, that can be found with no additives, and can be bought for even cheaper than this.

3) You also stated you don't have to do a w/c because in a perfect setup, one you would make, the biosystem takes care of its self.

Correct, the integrated aquaculture industry and integrated aquaculture (i.e., aqua-ponics) hobby sector and zero discharge recirculating aquaculture systems do not perform any significant water changes, outside of filtration cleaning, and the "biosystem" still takes care of it self.

4)
Maybe I just need to do something simple to get it to work. At least someone will see this as tangible, not some scientific quote w/o personal pictures. Link a picture of your perfect setup and I'll leave you be.

I utilize a flow through water change system and oxidation to deal with my DOCs, but this will soon be removed, hopefully by Spring of next year, once it is fully converted to an aquaponics (i.e., integrated aquaculture) system.

To learn more and to actually see folk with functioning FF devices, then check out the hyperlinks referenced within post#58 in thread " Introductory 'behind the scenes' story on your ponds ecosystem", which you have contributed quite significantly to this thread as you and others may recall quite vividly.

Last edited:

Ask a Question